MacBook Pro 13" Audio In?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by drewsof07, Jun 8, 2009.

1. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

drewsof07

Just browsing through the new MBP page I see that the 13" has only one audio port marked with a headphone sign but labeled "Audio In/Out."
    Could this function like the iPhone jack, or would they work either as an Audio In or Audio Out jack separately.
    Any thoughts? Sorry if this was mentioned in another thread. :)

Attached Files:

2. maclook macrumors 65816

i may sound like a newb sauce...but i have no idea what audio in is for. i havent used it on my macbook yet. when i saw the side picture of the new 13" i thought, great now i wont accidentally plug my headphones in the wrong port

3. calsci macrumors 6502

calsci

saw the same thing they look like the same icon over the port. i would be really curious why they took it out. hey they put fire wire in now something needs to come out. just a guess

4. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Its both an out and analog in.

5. Chase R macrumors 65816

Chase R

So much for being a "Pro" notebook with only one audio port for both input and output...

6. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

I was about to agree, but realized the return of firewire. You can get all the ins and outs you need, at higher A/D quality too.

Though for non-sound pros, I can see how this can be a slight annoyance.

7. kasakka macrumors 65816

It's possible there is some sort of adapter (yeah, like we need another one of those... :rolleyes:) that allows you to use both input and output at the same time.

But does it support digital audio out as well?

The inclusion of FireWire solves the problem for most though. The soundcard in the Macbook isn't exactly something you'd actually want to use for recording if you care about audio quality at all.

8. morrisman1 macrumors 6502

for most, the audio input is redundant due to the fact that the macbook has a microphone. does anyone know anyone that uses the line in port?

as said, with firewire back the pros can use this machine for audio recording and that obviously doesnt require an audio input jack on the computer itself

9. molala macrumors 6502a

You could probably use the iPhone compatible earbuds with microphones.

10. drewsof07 thread starter macrumors 68000

drewsof07

...or the exclusion of a dedicated graphics chip, not to mention the poor quality display. That kind of burns me a little.
    Apple has never been one to tout its products as "Pro" just because they looked exactly like a professional product on the outside. Until now.
    The good news is that they didn't start charging more for the sub-pro alu MBP. :p
    Back on topic, yeah I agree that if you are a pro and using the FW interface this doesn't really affect you. But seriously, what would it hurt to have the audio in for the rest of us who just want to hook up an ext. Mic or use a voip headset?? :(

11. JonHimself macrumors 68000

JonHimself

Yes because we all know that a self-respecting pro is going to use 1/8" inputs as their primary method of capturing audio, right?

I mean, c'mon. For starters, you can make an excellent argument that the 'pro' in the name is just for marketing and to allow people (myself included, sadly) to justify the extra price for the 15" macbook pro over a top-of-the-line 13" macbook. I mean, for a lot pro-sumers (if that's the term), a macbook that is maxed out is more than enough for their tasks (with some exceptions) and a base-line macbook pro (previous to yesterday's changes) is probably not going to be good enough for most legitimate pros.

On top of that, the 15" and 17" still have separate 1/8" jacks.