Macbook pro 13 battery life decreasing so fast

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jacdem, Dec 12, 2011.

1. jacdem macrumors member

In one week my MBP 13 mid2010 battery life decreased from 93% to 82%. I used to calibrate the battery as indicated by apple. I calibrated last night and the battery life decreased from 83 to 82%. I wanted to ask if this decrease is normal or if I am having a battery problem. Apple stated that the battery should hold 80% at 1000 cycles. Now my MBP is at 82% at 60 cycles. What is getting wrong?

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

Calibrating does nothing at all for battery health, it only makes the battery meter read more precisely, you're putting unnecessary cycles on your battery.

Your computer is nearly 2 years old and you only have 60 cycles, batteries die from abuse and lack of use, your battery is simply aging. You may be able to get Apple to replace it, but I wouldn't count on it.

3. Ccrew macrumors 68020

Sounds like it's either not used or spends most of it's life hooked to an AC adapter. Both of which are tough on a battery

Que GGJStudios with the battery link in 3...2....

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

First, you don't have enough cycles on your battery. It appears you use it plugged in most of the time, or you don't use it much at all. A battery needs to be exercised regularly to stay healthy.

Second, your battery came pre-calibrated and does not require regular calibration.

This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions:

5. GuitarG20 macrumors 65816

GuitarG20

that is what batteries do. if it drops below 80 and you're under a thousand cycles and still under warranty, take it in and they will replace it.

6. jacdem thread starter macrumors member

thank you for all your reply. I should add also that the health of the battery started decreasing after i upgraded to Lion

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Lion won't affect your battery's health. It may affect the time you can run on a charge, but not the health. You're basically killing your battery by not using it more often.

8. jacdem thread starter macrumors member

ok thank you I will use it more often then. Will apple replace this one for me? I have 2 years applecare coverage.

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If it drops below 80% before 1000 cycles, they may replace it for you. Otherwise, no, unless you find an Apple rep to bend the rules.

10. GuitarG20 macrumors 65816

GuitarG20

huh? how does not using it more often kill the battery? as long as he uses it every once in a while?

11. miker2209 macrumors regular

miker2209

This is exactly right, i have a cousin using the 2010 MBP and his cycle is 50 but it only holds 92% charge. I tried calibrating it for him but it only increase by 2%. Apple recommend you to unplug your MBP more often so it gets more "exercise".
    The damage can't be undone now :(

12. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

A new battery from Apple is about $125 so it's hardly the end of the world.

13. TheJing macrumors 6502a

TheJing

Calibrating the battery only gives you a more accurate reading of your battery's capacity and nothing more.

14. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Batteries die quicker if you don't exercise them. The OP has only 60 cycles after roughly 18 months, or an average of only 3 cycles a month. It's likely they ran for months at a time without cycling the battery, which is not good.
    The newer Mac portables with built-in batteries come pre-calibrated and do not require regular calibration.

15. GuitarG20 macrumors 65816

GuitarG20

I saw that part and realized my error literally a minute after I posted. I couldn't find the button to delete my reply tho ><

16. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you want a post deleted, you can report it, using the report post [​IMG] button. If you make a contribution to MacRumors, you gain the ability to delete your own posts, among other benefits.

17. GuitarG20 macrumors 65816

GuitarG20

one more question (I've been here long enough to know this I know) but can I report a post just simply for the reason that I would like it removed if it is my own, without incurring other consequences?

18. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Of course you can. Having a post deleted doesn't always have to do with a forum rules violation. Sometimes they're just mistaken posts.

19. miker2209 macrumors regular

miker2209

Yes, i'm aware of that when i say it increase the % by 2% as in it's calibrated and is more accurate now.
    But it is still RECOMMENDED.

20. thundersteele macrumors 68030

No, it's not. If you never use the battery, then apple recommends to "discharge and charge it at least once a month."

21. miker2209 macrumors regular

miker2209

Is that not calibrating :confused:

22. GuitarG20 macrumors 65816

GuitarG20

No. The calibrating procedure is very specific.

-[Apple]

23. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Where? You certainly CAN calibrate a newer battery, but nowhere does Apple recommend it. If you suspect your battery readings are way off, it won't harm the battery to calibrate it, but it's not necessary for normal use and uses up battery cycles needlessly.

The calibration procedure is clearly described in the CALIBRATION section of the Battery FAQ I posted. I really encourage you to read that FAQ. It will dispel any misinformation you may have read on battery care.