Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Antynwa

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 17, 2009
All,

I will be purchasing my first Mac within the next few weeks, It is the 2.22ghz Intel Core 2 Duo version. My questions are as follows...

I will be playing a fair amount of games, and intend to use Windows on Boot Camp.

1. How do the games play on my system when using Bootcamp? GTA IV, Fallout Bio Shock etc
2. What Windows is best to install on Bootcamp?
3. Do you have to go through Mac OS access Bootcamp and then go onto Windows or is there an option to chose your OS upon booting the Laptop up
4. I intend to use an external HDD for time machine but also intend to use it for backing up Windows Stuff. Is there a magic or specific way of going about this?

Kind Regards

shambo

macrumors 6502a
Apr 4, 2009
All,

I will be purchasing my first Mac within the next few weeks, It is the 2.22ghz Intel Core 2 Duo version. My questions are as follows...

I will be playing a fair amount of games, and intend to use Windows on Boot Camp.

1. How do the games play on my system when using Bootcamp? GTA IV, Fallout Bio Shock etc
2. What Windows is best to install on Bootcamp?
3. Do you have to go through Mac OS access Bootcamp and then go onto Windows or is there an option to chose your OS upon booting the Laptop up
4. I intend to use an external HDD for time machine but also intend to use it for backing up Windows Stuff. Is there a magic or specific way of going about this?

Kind Regards
1. Bin the Weeboy 13" idea. Those games would run better on a 15 or 17 inch Badboy Pro as it has a more powerful graphics card.
2. XP SP3.
3. Hold down Alt key on boot.
4. Get a Time Capsule. I did.

Glad to help.

thegoldenmackid

macrumors 604
Dec 29, 2006
dallas, texas
1. Bin the Weeboy 13" idea. Those games would run better on a 15 or 17 inch Badboy Pro as it has a more powerful graphics card.
2. XP SP3.

Glad to help.

Hits head on table. I'm aware you have a nickname for your notebook, but not everyone else does and plenty of people I'm sure will be confused by that.

I do agree with shambo on the first three, the 13" isn't going to handle GTA IV great at all.

As to the last one any NAS drive will work and there are plenty of other drives that would work, it's all about formatting.

Antynwa

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 17, 2009
I was looking at the 13" Model. Can I upgrade the graphics to 256MB? There doesn't seem to be an option on the online site to do so.

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
I was looking at the 13" Model. Can I upgrade the graphics to 256MB? There doesn't seem to be an option on the online site to do so.

No. The 13" Macbook Pro has an integrated graphics card.

Windows 7 is probably your best bet.

Also, Apple isn't known for optimizing drivers. I'd suggest if you want the best frame rates, don't even bother getting the $2000 Macbook Pro, just get the 13" one, and put the money you saved by not getting a 15" one towards a Dell. Even an $800 dell will give you better frame rates.

Antynwa

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 17, 2009
I'm not really fussed on having top notch graphics, just something that has good frame rate and is smooth.

I really can't afford the 15"+ Models. I can't really see the difference to be honest, I want it for the obvious cross compatability with numerous OS'.

If it plays the odd game smooth and without much hassle that will do. The main thing is that it can run a Windows Operating System, as well as run Labview, Dreamweaver and other resource heavy applications. I will be upgrading the memory as well finances permitting!

fibrizo

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2009
I'm not really fussed on having top notch graphics, just something that has good frame rate and is smooth.

I really can't afford the 15"+ Models. I can't really see the difference to be honest, I want it for the obvious cross compatability with numerous OS'.

If it plays the odd game smooth and without much hassle that will do. The main thing is that it can run a Windows Operating System, as well as run Labview, Dreamweaver and other resource heavy applications. I will be upgrading the memory as well finances permitting!

Honestly, It won't do well at all. It will barely play Final Fantasy XI decently... and that game is freaking old.

If you want to game, get a Dell i7 and just hack snow leopard on it.

The 13 inch will do everything else ok, and if you like playing games like plants vs zombies, you'll have no trouble. Trying to do 3d games on it is painful, plus even it it works, it will set your crotch or desk on fire (depending on where you set it.) When I boot windows to run FFXI, the thing likes to heat up to 80C or more.

vitavo

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2009
I don't think people are giving enough credit to the 13" MBP. I have the base model 2.26Ghz 2GB RAM and it has eats everything I feed it. I don't doubt the 9600M GT would do better, but I have COD4, Bioshock, GTA IV, FSX, and a bunch of other older games installed on it. Every one of those games I can easily run. The only one that I need to turn graphics down on is GTA IV, but it still runs very well, just have to keep the resolution pretty low. This is all on Windows 7 64 bit.

When I was looking for a Mac, I wanted an all-round computer, but didn't have the money nor did I want the extra size of the 15". The 13" has answered all of my prayers!

Antynwa

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 17, 2009
I don't think people are giving enough credit to the 13" MBP. I have the base model 2.26Ghz 2GB RAM and it has eats everything I feed it. I don't doubt the 9600M GT would do better, but I have COD4, Bioshock, GTA IV, FSX, and a bunch of other older games installed on it. Every one of those games I can easily run. The only one that I need to turn graphics down on is GTA IV, but it still runs very well, just have to keep the resolution pretty low. This is all on Windows 7 64 bit.

When I was looking for a Mac, I wanted an all-round computer, but didn't have the money nor did I want the extra size of the 15". The 13" has answered all of my prayers!

Thanks for this. As I said I don't intend to use it as a gaming system but If I fancy a go on Bioshock or something I hope to be able to do so to an acceptable degree.

fibrizo

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2009

It's not necessarily not giving it credit. I own one and I know what I can do with it. It really depends on what you're willing to accept as playable or decent. I have a 2.26 w/ 4 gb of ram, I even put in a 7200 rpm drive for a bit and I'm running win 7 64 pro RTM. I like my macbook, and I think you could do some light gaming on it, but it's just not fast enough to push any of the newer games or to play at decent FPS. And if you're worried about games coming out, then it will be a real concern. I still wouldn't base my decision to buy a 13" pro on it's ability to game. And finally to note... You're still running windows to play games lol. It's not much different from buying a pc and playing at that point. If games are truly and issue, it's probably better to just get a good pc, and run snow leopard on it when you're not using it to game. I bought this macbook to do work, and rarely (if ever) use it to game, which means I probably boot into windows at most once a week or 2 on it. (feels like a waste of a windows license lol since I hardly ever use it)

And to the op, you stated that you will be playing a fair amount of games on it. You also seem set on buying the base MBP, I don't blame you, it's a good beautifully crafted machine. But as a former PC only person ( I still use a windows desktop and have 4 other notebooks that run win 7) You have to realize there's no magic to it, it's just an intel box like any other. A similarly spec'ed windows machine is just that, similarly spec'ed. Buy the macbook to run mac os X primarily that, and you will never be disappointed. If you end up running windows alot, you'll probably be disappointed. It's lesser spec'ed than a comparable windows box at the price and you'll need to get a windows license if you plan on doing it legally (which will add to the cost if you do).

Still enjoy your new MBP it's a beauty. And don't hesitate to ask any questions about installing/bootcamp etc. I'm just so happy the trackpad right click works in windows finally. :)

t3heford

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2009
Don't get one of the latest macbook pros for gaming, if any of the games you're planning on playing require microphones or voice chat. Apple made it so that under bootcamp/windows the internal microphone and external headsets don't work unless they connect using usb.

HaXoR7Om

macrumors member
Jan 7, 2010
United Kingdom
2. XP SP3.

Glad to help.

you really are a ridiculous person aren't you, using your stupid name for your laptop at every opportunity...

grow up!

Sinan

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2010
United Kingdom
Go ahead and get 13inch one, i've run Borderlands, Fallout 3 and Left for Dead 2 on windows xp in boot camp and its fine, tone the settings down a little and its very playable. I'd get a mouse though.:D

Sinan

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2010
United Kingdom
and about the backing up, if you get a regular external drive, you should be able to split into 2 partitions, Time Machine on one and Xp has a backup system built into it somewhere (ask Google)

seanconn

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2010
Really though, if I were you I would wait.

you might be able to pick up a 15" refurb for very cheap like 1300, once the new 15" badboy pro comes out. hahha kidding MacBook Pro

if you can spend 300 more to get something that can game pretty decenetly, 2.53 with the 256mb card.

but actually, i think only the 2.4 with the 9400 would probably be around that price, and it's ability to game would be close to not better than the 13" at all.

still though, I like the idea of buying a laptop that does it all. you will be able to sell you gaming grade MBP in 2 years for a lot more than your 13" mb.

cost/benefit type of situation.. it all depends. I think the 15" mbp is just the best laptop out.

you might as well get the white macbook and a gaming rig if you plan on buying two machines though.

Penetieso

Cancelled
May 29, 2010
hello!

I have the mbp 13" 2009 and i want to ask only a few questions:

1. Will I be able to run mass effect? even in low or something playable? and fallout 3?

2. I installed winxp via boot camp but I don´t have audio!!! I've tried several things but it seems i can´t play any sound on windows... however i have vmware and there is sound there why?

3.do you recommend me win7 better than winxp since i will only use win for gaming wich one? 32 or 64 bits?

thank you very much! ;)

PD: sorry for my english and if i repeat questions...

Fuzz02

macrumors newbie
May 26, 2010
I'd like to point out that GTA4 isn't a very good port, so I wouldn't rate the 13 inch on how well it runs that game.

Bill Gates

macrumors 68030
Jun 21, 2006
hello!

I have the mbp 13" 2009 and i want to ask only a few questions:

1. Will I be able to run mass effect? even in low or something playable? and fallout 3?

2. I installed winxp via boot camp but I don´t have audio!!! I've tried several things but it seems i can´t play any sound on windows... however i have vmware and there is sound there why?

3.do you recommend me win7 better than winxp since i will only use win for gaming wich one? 32 or 64 bits?

thank you very much! ;)

PD: sorry for my english and if i repeat questions...
Mass Effect should definitely be playable, and you shouldn't need to run it on low either. I don't know about Fallout 3 since I've never played it on PC.

Did you install the Boot Camp drivers and the update that Apple just released? If you followed the instructions from the Boot Camp utility you should not have any problems.

Windows 7, preferably 64-bit, for sure. Windows XP is a dinosaur.

Penetieso

Cancelled
May 29, 2010
xDDDDDDD Bill Gates??? OMG! xD

Thank you very much! I will defenetly buy mass effect...
However.. which one is better the Nvidia 9400M or the 320M? Cos I ave the 9400M since my MBP is from 2009... Will I be able to play Just Cause 2 also?

And yes, i updated bootcamp by downloading it from the apple's support page to 3.1 so i dont know what is the problem... may I ask you for the drivers of the sound card please? cos when i put my snow leopard cd and istall everything it wont detect the audio as well as when i update bootcamp what sould i do??

Thnks a lot!

Bill Gates

macrumors 68030
Jun 21, 2006
If you go to laptopvideo2go you can find Realtek HD audio drivers on their forums, which should be what you need if it's a simple driver issue. The 320M is superior to the 9400M in every way, but it's more of an evolutionary step than a revolutionary one. I don't know about Just Cause 2 either; my gaming is limited. If you want to get a rough idea of how a lot of games will run, go here while booted into Windows. It will let you compare your system with the requirements published for various games.

Penetieso

Cancelled
May 29, 2010
thank you very much!

I've looked that page... but it says that my video card is 512mb dedicated whe it's 256mb shared... Wtf? if so i can play m.e. at ultra and i know that is not true... is that website reliable?

Bill Gates

macrumors 68030
Jun 21, 2006
I don't go to that website for information, only for downloads, so I don't know exactly what you're looking at. If you have the baseline 15" MBP from 2009 you have an Nvidia GeForce 9400M with 256MB of shared VRAM, meaning it's taken from the system RAM. Higher-end models had a 9600M GT with either 256MB or 512MB of VRAM in addition to the 9400M.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.