Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NagasakiGG

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 20, 2017
Hi,

As millions people aswell I gotta problem with my Butterfly keyboard, tho the problem isn't that persistent that I feel in an urge to replace it.
Mostly my space key ignores presses and "A" and "P" often double presses. But yea, since Im always using an external Keyboard its okay I think. Tho I don't want to miss out the opportunity to get my keyboard replaced. (I heard its only 4 years after the device has been sold firstly? I mean, since my MacBook is the 2018ish, so I guess I still have two more years)

My questions are, is it true that Apple changes the complete bottom chassis with battery aswell? If so, shouldn't I rather wait until the problem intensifies and/or battery get worse?

Also, I read in some forums that in the past people i.e. who had that problem with their 2016/2017ish model sometimes got upgrade to the 2018 (with silicone) one. Is there a real chance Apple might do that in a few months? I mean, wouldn't it be cheaper for them than keeping old butterfly keyboards in stock?

ctjack

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2020
My questions are, is it true that Apple changes the complete bottom chassis with battery aswell? If so, shouldn't I rather wait until the problem intensifies and/or battery get worse?
If you live in a country with official Apple store, then you should better fix it for free now. Because in 2 years you might have keyboard problems again. So you will have free repair every 2 years.
Also after repair in 2022, you'd better sell it right there after replacement.
Also if it fails 3 times on you, they will give you a free replacement from the current lineup of MBP.
Also, I read in some forums that in the past people i.e. who had that problem with their 2016/2017ish model sometimes got upgrade to the 2018 (with silicone) one.
They have changed it with the latest butterfly with silicone. So they had the same keyboard as in 2018, but in 2016/2017 laptops.

Reactions: NagasakiGG
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.