MacBook Pro 13 ..Can this play SimCity?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mrcooluk1, Aug 25, 2014.

1. mrcooluk1 macrumors newbie

Been debating back and forth for months now on what new laptop to get since this one is basically on its last legs..I've got two in mind.. the ASUS Transformer Book Flip TP300LD
    https://www.casetac.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=174828&currency=GBP&language=en

or the MacBook Pro Retina 13 (the one with iris graphics and i7)

I think it's time to take the plunge and change to Mac, will this particular Macbook be able to play SimCity 2013 pretty well? Or should I just go for the ASUS?

2. bigchrisfgb macrumors 65816

I've played Sim city fairly well on a 2010 MBP.

The MBP you have said should give you great performance for Sim City.

3. mrcooluk1 thread starter macrumors newbie

What's it like on your MBP? Does it run quite smoothly? :)

4. bigchrisfgb macrumors 65816

Game play is smooth, loading can take a couple of minutes (probably down to downloading content). I have no problems with it, and it looks fine even though it gave me a warning about my graphics card. What you have to remember is though, my MBP is on old hardware, there has been 4 different chips and plenty of graphics cards upgraded since my MBP. I would imagine the current or even the last couple of generations of MBP would handle the game with relative ease.

5. eneisch, Aug 26, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2014

eneisch macrumors 6502a

Minimum Graphics Requirements:
    INTEL HD 3000, NVIDIA® GEFORCE® 9600M OR ATI™ RADEON™ HD 2600 PRO OR BETTER

Recommended Graphics Requirements:
    NVIDIA GEFORCE GT 650M, 660M, OR 675MX OR FASTER

The Intel Iris found in the 13-inch Macbook pro is a little slower than the GT 650M, but is much better than the minimum requirement of Intel HD 3000. I'd guess that it will run smoothly, but may you may not be able to run at the highest graphical settings.

Also I would double check the graphics card spec on the Asus. The page you pointed to indicates the PC has a GT 820M chip. The Asus website indicated the PC has Intel HD 4400 integrated graphics. I couldn't find if there are any graphic chip upgrade options on the ASUS laptop but you should make sure before you buy it.

UPDATE: It appears that the GT 820M is an option on the TP300. The GT 820M will outperform the the Intel Iris.