Macbook Pro - 13 Clarification

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by macbanda, Jun 12, 2010.

1. macbanda macrumors member

I'm in an interesting situation. I currently own a Macbook - the black edition and I'm considering buying another Macbook but not sure if it's worth spending the extra money on a 15".

I'm a teacher and my primary use of my current computer is for basic MS Office use, online use, and recently some light Pro Tools use.

Questions:

• The main advantage of the new 13" versus the version I have is the improved type of ram used and 4 gigs versus 2 gigs.
    • The Unibody advantage on the new version.

Thank you in advance

2. cloroxbleach4 macrumors 6502a

cloroxbleach4

You'll definitely get a better battery life. If the only reason why you're wanting to upgrade is the ram, it would be cheaper to just buy it and change it out yourself.

The unibody is definitely the most attractive laptop i've seen.

3. GadgetGeek71 macrumors 6502

Since you're not using high graphic programs, the "i" line processors are over-kill. You'll appreciate the weight and battery life on the 13"...but the screen (obviously) is smaller.

4. macbanda thread starter macrumors member

Excellent point. Let me add that I will probably buy one either say since my wife suffers from mac-envy. The question for me is whether it's worth to upgrade to the 15" or save a bunch of money and buy the new 13". I love the portability and relatively light weight of the 13", especially hauling to different class rooms and when I travel but I would love the bigger screen size when not in a crammed seat on an airplane. In sum, given my use or needs for a computer, is it worth spending the extra $600-700 for a 15"?

Thanks.

5. cloroxbleach4 macrumors 6502a

cloroxbleach4

Only get the 15 if the extra screen space is necessary. But because you really need the portability and using it on an airplane, I would get the 13. Not saying that the 15" isn't portable, but it's rather difficult to fit on an airplane tray.