Macbook Pro 13" clicking noises?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rockerbsbn, Jun 7, 2010.

1. rockerbsbn macrumors newbie

So my macbook pro makes semi-constant clicking noise from the hard drive when web surfing or anything.. is this normal? they are very slight, but noticable. base 13" 2010 model

2. mikeo007 macrumors 65816

Is it sitting on your lap when it makes the noise? Could be the motion sensor to prevent hard drive damage.

3. rockerbsbn thread starter macrumors newbie

well it happens both on my lap and on a flat desk. on my lap it also vibrates slightly next to the trackpad (both sides)

i already got it replaced due to clicking noises, i dont want to again...

4. highlatitude macrumors newbie

My 15" i7 is also making a weird intermittent clicking noise when moved slightly -- but not always. If it were the sudden motion sensor I would think it would make the sound whenever it is moved, but it only happens randomly when moved. It almost sounds like one of the rear fans is slightly brushing up against something, but I really don't know. :confused:

5. saeed macrumors newbie

lol...happen same thing to me.i dont know the reason.but i think it is normal.... (vibrating the HDD beside the trackpad on both sides) Dont worry;)

6. rockerbsbn thread starter macrumors newbie

thats good to hear, assuming ur talking about the clicking as well

7. rasmusDoh macrumors regular

What HD do you have?

My WD Scorpio Blue clicked too. Downloading the program hdpam solved it.
    My problem was that the harddrive kept spinning up and down, even when turning that off in Energy Saving, System Preferences. Using the above app makes the HD run "non-stop" = not spin down, when idle. It does make the HD a bit louder, but you won't notice it unless you're in a completely quiet room and put your ears up next to the computer.

I don't know if you're problem is also related to the HD spinning down when idle, but i hope the above helps!

8. rockerbsbn thread starter macrumors newbie

well, i have the stock HD which comes with the macbook pro 13", and it lciks when im using it, not when idle

9. wudollar macrumors newbie

I got my i7 15" last week, and I also felt some troublesome noise which seems from SMS. However, I also can notice the click happens when power is off, and I thought it should not be from HD (I thought....).

Also, it could randomly comes out even on flat table when I'm working.
    I'm really don't know whether it is really from SMS now......

10. pacmania1982 macrumors 6502a

pacmania1982

Mine sometimes does it when I move it suddenly, I put it down to the hard drive motion sensor thing. If I'm watching a video and I move suddenly I hear a noise, the audio continues but the video usually pauses.

Think thats what it is ??

pac

11. rockerbsbn thread starter macrumors newbie

nope its constant, even when i only have one tab in safari open and nothing else....and yesterday it froze...bleh

12. BuiltforSin macrumors regular

BuiltforSin

Mine does it too. Did anyone have a clear answer on the cause?

13. deputy_doofy macrumors 65816

deputy_doofy

14. BuiltforSin macrumors regular

BuiltforSin

Mine clicks if I pick it up with the screen open or after just closing it and I pick it up.

15. BuiltforSin macrumors regular

BuiltforSin

Sorry for bumping, but just looking for an answer.