Macbook pro 13 clicks on mainboard.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jgplast, Mar 18, 2016.

1. jgplast macrumors newbie

Hi !
    Anybody could help me with Macbook pro 13, 820-2936-b, 2011, i5.
    Problem:
    It was water damaged. I cleaned all mainboard.
    Mac doesnt turn on at all before and after cleaning - same result.
    When I connect magsafe to mainboard without anything, its dim green light and dim light blinking all the time on magsafe. Also on motherboard some component sounds clicking like "klik-klik-klik...." in tact with magsafe blinking, I can hear it.
    Can you help me and tell which component could it be ? Seems its somewhere short or overvoltage or this component broken.
    Thanks everybody for helping me.

2. jgplast thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for helping me, but I cant find there information about mine problem. I still need to identify this component or what could it be. Thats why I started new post. If you know, please, help me.

3. Dadioh macrumors 65816

Dadioh

Liquid spill can blow the charging chip ISL6259. Pin 14 of that chip sends signal back to SMC to indicate it is putting out 12.5V to the power bus. The SMC controls the green/amber light on the charger. If it is cycling then the ISL6259 is trying to generate the 12.5V and asserting pin 14. But then it discovers something wrong (it monitors voltage and current on the output) and removes pin 14 assertion. The SMC then turns off the green light. Rinse and repeat.

So basically your charging circuit is fried and would need diagnosis and replacement by someone who does board level repairs (not Apple).

4. tubeexperience macrumors 68030

What? Apple doesn't do component level repairs?

Where does Apple get its refurbished replacement logic boards from?

5. Dadioh macrumors 65816

Dadioh

If you go to an Apple Store they will gladly swap out the logic board. They will not get out a soldering iron and schematic and replace components. When they swap out the logic board I "assume" they send it back into their system for possible repair but the original owner will not see that board again. They might even sell them in bulk to a third party who might repair and put back into the market through other sources (auction sites).

In larger cities you can usually find some shop that does circuit board level repairs. I know I do :)

6. jgplast thread starter macrumors newbie

THANKS A LOT, Dadioh !
    I have enough experience ( 12 years ) in electronics to replace and inspect all the components. I will make some measurements and post them here later. Anyway now I understand what I should to check ;)
    I just know a little about macbooks. Basically in last month got 4 macbook pro 13 from different customers and each time in some kind trouble, because like I told before have not experience in Macbooks :)

7. Dadioh macrumors 65816

Dadioh

OK. It is good to know you have some level of experience. You need to grab a schematic and board view for that board. Start at pin 14 of the ISL6259 charger to see if it is cycling. If so then you should check all of the resistors around the charger. Good luck.