Price Advice MacBook Pro 13" Deal?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mstgkillr, Jun 1, 2012.

1. mstgkillr, Jun 1, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2012

mstgkillr macrumors regular

I already have a 15.4" MacBook Pro, MD322LL/A (October 2011) and I am currently waiting for the new version to be released but I think I may have found a deal...

How much is this computer worth or at what price should I not pass it up?

Perfect condition, all boxes, receipts, etc...

MacBook Pro MD313LL/A
    October 2011
    2.4GHz
    8GB RAM (Apple Installed)
    512GB SSD (Apple Installed)
    AppleCare Until December 2014
    Office 2011 for Mac
    Windows 7 Ultimate
    Office 2010 for Windows
    Laptop Sleeve
    Laptop Bag

Thanks!

2. MacVibe macrumors regular

Exactly how much is the computer being sold for?
    Is it on craigslist? If so, is it local?

You seem to have left out some relevant information in requesting people to comment on your deal.

If you intentionally left out the selling price, then you are trolling.

3. aarond12 macrumors 65816

aarond12

Apple's price for that system is an unbelievable $2799, without Windows, Office, AppleCare, or the sleeve/case.

Unless the seller is a fool, you likely won't be able to buy this for less than $2400.

4. mstgkillr thread starter macrumors regular

It's local... The guy wants $800 for it. He assured me that everything is in perfect condtion, not even a scratch. He said that he has all of the receipts, software, boxes, cd's etc... He stated that he only purchased it for a one time elevator software install which required OSX and that he is a Windows guy anyways. He also said that he paid $2200 for the computer and another $700 for the 8GB RAM and 512GB SSD upgrades which were installed at the Apple Store.

If I went to check it out, how do I make sure I get what is described, specificly that it is the current model, with a 512GB SSD and 8GB RAM. I also want to make sure it isn't stolen or has any spill damage.

5. 3dflyboy1 macrumors 6502

I would pass it up just based on his asking price. It's too good to be true, and unless you can get a phone number and talk to him, forget it.

6. Grumbles Guest

The MD313LL/A is the base 13" and is only worth $1,199 new, not sure how it cost him $2,200. Even so, if he spent $700 on top of the $1,199, he is about $1,900 into this machine and he is selling it for $800? It is less than a year old and the current model, I can't imagine he isn't smart enough to know that it is worth a lot more with those upgrades. Something smells fishy here or he is not very smart and has too much money.

7. wiggy1 macrumors newbie

Sounds fishy. That 512 GB SSD alone is worth around $700 (used), apple quotes $1100 to install it. With all the software included and hardware specs, it sounds like a back-door deal. Hopefully it isn't too hot to handle.

Let us know how the deal goes.

8. mstgkillr thread starter macrumors regular

Any ideas how to double check to make sure it isn't stolen... Call Apple and the police deptarment to run the serial number?

9. MacVibe macrumors regular

$800 is okay if it is the low-end model and has a hard disk drive. If it has an ssd then it is a great deal.

If you want to buy the computer, plan to meet the seller in a public place with wifi (coffee shop, mcdonalds ...) and have him/her agree to let you turn on the computer and access the internet.

To see if there is an ssd, click on the Apple, choose About this mac, and then click on More info. Then click on System report. Then under hardware click on Serial-ATA. Then in the lower right pane it will give very detailed information about the drive, you can copy the model number into google and get all the specs.

Last I heard Apple has no interest in using serial numbers for stolen goods. If you want to call the cops, then it means you don't feel right about it and should just walk away. If the guy says he has a receipt, and his name matches it, then I don't see how it would be considered stolen at that point.