MacBook Pro 13" Dim Charger Light. Will Not turn on

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ouimetnick, Aug 20, 2010.

1. ouimetnick macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

When my mother plugs her 13" MBP into the wall, the charger light is green and very dim. The charger light will not turn red. I tried my charger and 2 other ones... same problem. Pressing the battery indicator button in the left side will not light up... at all. We left the computer plugged in for a few hours, and it still doesn't power on. I reseated the battery connector, reset the SMC, reset the PRAM/NVRAM, and the computer still won't turn on. No lights (except the magsafe that is faintly green.)

/rant/
    I'm sure it the logic board that failed in her 4 month old $1200 computer, but if you have any suggestions, let me know. We are going to the Apple Store soon. If it is indeed the logic board, then people that says Dell computers are crap will have to think again. My mom's work computer (Latitude E6400) is a year old. No problems what so ever. And it was only $700.
    /end of rant/

2. Nano2k macrumors regular

I've had it happen a few times, usually I remove the magnet plug and reseat it and it works. I would check that the contacts are clean. If they are and you tested different power supplies, it sounds like it could be a faulty board.

3. ouimetnick thread starter macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

The Magsafe contacts are perfectly clean. No luck.

4. djasterix macrumors 6502a

djasterix

Take it to the Apple store, looks like the logic board is toast...

5. ouimetnick thread starter macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

Dead logic board. Brought it to Apple for repair. They have it now. Will take about a week. Good thing this is my mom's computer and not mine. I don't know if i could go a week with out my MacBook Pro. I hope my logic board doesn't fail 4 months down the road like hers did. I will keep you posted on this repair.

Attached Files:

6. truazn macrumors newbie

That sucks. didn't know it would take that long for them to fix. Hope mine does'nt fail like that down the road either. (knock on wood)

7. ouimetnick thread starter macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

7 days is just an estimate. Actually they said by Thursday or Friday but its close enough to a week. My mom doesn't need it anyways, and we are going on vacation so we won't need it anyways.