MacBook Pro 13 (early 2010) battery swollen

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Puqq, Feb 4, 2015.

1. Puqq macrumors regular

My MBP 13 (early 2010) battery has badly swollen- so badly, it bent the bottom the plate by some 5mm (1/4 inch). Has anyone experience with Apple's position on such problem? (the computer was purchased and I currently am in the EU)

Other details:
    1. AppleCare ended 2 years ago
    2. The computer had some liquid damage (hence, some keys on the keyboard are not working properly)
    3. The computer was fully functional before. Battery held 4h+ charge

2. aicul macrumors 6502a

Go to an Apple Store, maybe you get a surprise gesture from them.

3. austinpike macrumors 6502

My personal experience is that while Apple may be sympathetic, they won't do anything for you. That said, if you have an Apple Store nearby, as the previous poster mentioned it can't hurt to take it there and ask.

Otherwise you can find cheap generic replacements on eBay. If you need to be assured of equivalent performance then it would likely be best to get a genuine Apple part.

4. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

sounds like the liquid damaged the battery...

Apple will not work on it liquid damaged without payment, thats looking like a total of around Euro 800ish. They would swap top and bottom case for the keyboard and damage and the battery and possibly a logic board if they find any issues with it.

Your best bet would be to buy a new battery and fit it yourself and hope for the best.