Macbook Pro 13' (Early 2011) fan problem.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by som3awy123, Apr 21, 2013.

1. som3awy123 macrumors newbie

I have a problem with my Macbook fan. The fan is running normally at 2000 rpm and temperature is 50 degree, but as soon as I open any game, like Football Manager 13 for example, it starts running at 6000+ rpm and the noise is loud. I've ran Apple Hardware Test, but didn't find any problems. I've searched everywhere on the internet for a fix, but didn't find any. It's really annoying, could someone help me please?

Thanks in advance.

2. RoastingPig macrumors 68000

RoastingPig

your putting major stress on your cpu and gpu its normal for the computer to try to keep itself and a good temp when gaming

3. Doward macrumors 6502a

Can you give us some temperature measurements? iStat Pro would be a good way.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you're not already doing so, use iStat Pro (free) or iStat Menus ($16) to get accurate readings of your temps, fan speeds, etc., rather than relying on your sense of touch or sound. A forum member has posted a copy of iStat Pro that has been "tweaked" to enhance compatibility with Mountain Lion. You can download it here.

The Intel processors used in Macs are designed to automatically shut down to prevent damage if they truly overheat. CPU Tjmax = 105C (221F), GPU Tjmax = 100C (212F) on i3, i5, i7 processors. (Source: Intel)

Unless there is a rare defect in a Mac, most temps are well within the normal operating range, considering the workload being put on it. Websites with Flash content, games and other multimedia apps will put higher demand on the CPU/GPU, generating more heat. This is normal. If you're constantly putting high demands on your system, such as gaming or other multimedia tasks, expect temps to rise and fans to spin up accordingly. It's just your Mac doing its job to maintain temps within the normal range.

It is also quite normal for your Mac to become extremely hot to the touch during intensive operations. The aluminum body transfers heat more effectively than other materials used in computer casings, so you will feel the heat more. This doesn't indicate that it's overheating and will not harm the computer to be hot to the touch.

Your fans are always on when your Mac is on, spinning at a minimum of 2000 rpm (for MBPs) or 1800 rpm (for MBAs, MBs and minis). iMacs have 3 fans with minimum speeds in the 800-1200 range. They will spin faster as needed to keep temps at a safe level.

If your fans are spinning up without increased heat, try resetting the SMC.
    (PRAM/NVRAM has nothing to do with these issues, so resetting it will not help.)

The intake and exhaust vents are in the back of the computer near the hinge on all Mac notebooks (except the new MBP with retina display, which has intake vents along the sides at the bottom). The iMac vent is a slot on the back near the top of the computer. Make sure the vents remain unblocked to allow your computer to perform at its best.

Learn about the fans in your Mac
    Apple Portables: Operating temperature

For Flash-related issues:

5. Som3awy macrumors newbie

As soon as I open the game, the temp. increases to 90-95 and fan rpm to 6200. I don't think that's normal or is it?! The game's CPU usage is 20-25%. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

----------

Bump

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

What about the GPU temps? It's quite normal that such temps and fan speeds would be achieved during gaming or other resource-intensive activities.

7. wsbsteven macrumors member

It's a 13" so the graphics are on the cpu. For a game, yes this is normal as my old 13" early 2011 did that. I use ultrafan for my temp management now and it works well.

8. Doward macrumors 6502a

That's insane. 25% CPU usage should not cause your cpu temps and fans to max out like that.

For anyone interested, here's the game specs:
    http://www.footballmanager.com/manual/?id=6

As you can see, they are QUITE low. Your system should be able to run that game with absolutely no trouble.

I'd suggest you're looking at a heatsink and compound issue needing fixing. Cleaning, lapping, and polishing the heatsink combined with quality heat transfer compound would bring your temps down tremendously.

9. Som3awy macrumors newbie

Cheers, Doward. Thanks for your help. I have another question. I would really appreciate it if you could help. Sometimes when I plug in the charger, it won't charge, but after a while, when I try plugging it again, it charges. This scenario happens to me everyday. It annoys the hell out of me! There's nothing wrong with the charger cuz I've tried it on my brother's laptop and it's fine. And I checked my battery's health condition on System Information, and it's cycle count is 573 and condition is normal. So, what could possibly be wrong?!

----------

How can this be normal?! Do I have to hear the fan spinning every time I play a game? I had an HP laptop which was pretty awful and I never heard the fan spinning!

10. wsbsteven macrumors member

Was the hp laptop a 13"? The smaller the laptop the worse the cooling as there is only so much space in there (which is why you don't see quad core 13" MBP's yet). Install a fan control app like ultrafan and set it to start turning the fan on earlier than the smc will. This will keep your laptop cool while reducing the fan noise on the higher end. Your laptop is dual core hyperthreaded so you have four processing threads.

Imagine those threads are runners. Your game is hitting one core 100% which means that one of those runners is running as fast as they can. Now will those other three runners that aren't doing anything suddenly cool off the runner that is in an all out sprint? All it takes is one core being maxed out to bring the heat up in your 13" MBP so your fan turns on to cool it off.

Will modifying the cooling system make a difference? Sure but I don't know you or your technical skill so it would be irresponsible of me to recommend making physical modifications to your laptop to mitigate the issue. Does your game have music? Why not turn that up so you focus more on your entertainment than background noise.

11. srsub3 macrumors 6502

srsub3

It's a common problem... even on mine when I'm looking flash videos on youtube I get fans at max speed especially when the magsafe is not connected.... this is why I'm worried about buying a 13 retina...in shops they don't let me check this without charger... maybe I'm too suspicious but this is my experience

12. Doward macrumors 6502a

Your charger problem is likely a bad center pin on your Magsafe Jack.

As for turning up the volume so you can concentrate on entertainment, my wife did that in her Honda, and spread the block over a 50 square yard radius.

Oh yes, certainly recommend ignoring the issue. /s

13. Som3awy macrumors newbie

Cheers Doward! Thanks a lot for your help.