Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JohnyBoi88

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 24, 2014
Hi!

I have ordered an SSD and it will be placed into the mainbay. The standard HDD, which came with the system, will be put into the secondarybay via caddy.

As the standard HDD is kinda slow and small-ish (5400rpm, 320gb), I have been thinking that I should maybe upgrade it too. The question is: what kind of HDD should I go with?

The MBP model I have doesnt seem to support SATA3 in the secondarybay so SATA2 should probably(?) be the way to go. Also should I buy a faster 7200rpm HDD or stick with a slower 5400rpm HDD? Will my MBP actually be able to take the advantage from a faster HDD or will I just be burning money for nothing? :confused:

Its an early 2011 MBP with 4GB of RAM.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks!

Spink10

Suspended
Nov 3, 2011
Oklahoma
7200 would be slightly faster. All of the possibilities you mentioned are acceptable do what will best fit your desire and cost.

JohnyBoi88

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 24, 2014
Thank you for the reply!

Another question:
I have been toying with an idea that I would install another OS to the other HDD (Windows 8.1) so I'd get the best from both worlds.

How would this actually work out though? The SSD in the mainbay would host OS X and the slower DVD - bay HDD would be running Windows 8. Are there any known problems with this setup or is it even possible? :confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.