Macbook pro 13 early 2011 vs new lenovo, asus

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Kiddo1001, Jan 7, 2016.

1. Kiddo1001 macrumors newbie

Hello there! Guys I really need your advice. I have a early 2011 MBP Core i5 2.3ghz 13inch, 4 GB of 1333 MHz DDR3, Intel HD3000. It works ok, but a bit slow and needs a battery change.
    My question is should I sell my mac and add some money and purchase a new cheaper(e.q. asus, lenovo) laptop since I dont have much money, or change a battery,upgrade ram(up to 8GB) and stick to my mac? I would really appreciate your help.

2. sw1tcher macrumors 65816

sw1tcher

Depends on what you use laptop for. If it's just basic stuff, adding a new battery, SSD, and RAM would give it new life and probably be less. Should last you another 2-3 years

3. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Yeah an SSD upgrade will make it better than new, check your RAM usage before bothering to update it it may not be needed.
    If you do anything graphically intensive then the money would probably be better spent on a new machine.

4. friedkimchi macrumors regular

friedkimchi

State your use of the laptop please. Gaming? Word documents/video watching only? Do you connect any external monitors?

A battery change along with a SSD should cost around $250? Add in another stick of RAM for $x?
    It will still be cheaper than a new laptop from the brands mentioned above. And the bonus of not having to deal with the nonsense that Windows is riddled with.

That will last you a good 2 years and more if your use case of the laptop does not require heavy processing/gaming requirements.