Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ejosepha

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 12, 2009
Has any one else experienced the random, but rather persistent electrical sounding snap or click that occurs while navigating the computer mostly with the touchpad. It is not the hardisk (been replaced to no avail). One person on apple forums suggested that all Macbook Pros make a snapping sound because the soundcard is either powering up out of sleep or powering down. It occurs sometimes more frequently, others not at all. Apple has offered to replace the computer with a new one, but if this is an endemic problem with just about all of them, I'd rather keep the one I have.
The snapping or clicking isn't resounding, but can be rather irritating in a quiet room. At first I thought it was a short circuit sound snapping but was convinced otherwise later.
Any responses would be appreciated.

wez99950

macrumors member
Mar 31, 2009
i have the same problem. it's this random, quiet but annoying when it's just you in the room clicking every couple of minutes. is this with all new mbps? is it worth replacing?
also, did you download the sl cd and if so, do you know how much memory it took? i haven't downloaded or migrated anything and i have 15gbs gone. that normal?

ejosepha

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 12, 2009
That's my precise question?

Apple is offering to replace my computer with a new one. They replaced the hardrive and that didn't resolve the problem. One forum person said that all of Macbook Pros have been making this snapping sound as the soundcard powers up or goes to sleep. But applecare hadn't heard of this explanation and so has offered a replacement. I am trying to find out if this snapping or electrical sounding clicking noise (which comes and goes) is on all Macbook Pros, to one degree or another. Will I get rid of this problem by exchanging for a new computer or end up where I started.
I have to decide on the exchange within a few days so I am trying to find out if this is an endemic problem.
Any responses, affirmative or negative, would be helpful.

mwolfson

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2009
Same Issue

My MBP 13" makes that weird clicking sound, too. It seems to be coming from something on the right side, and it almost sounds like a drip, but only occurs every once in a while, or a few times a day. I've wondered if it is anything worth calling over. It kind of scares me though because mine is brand new.

dk2k9

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2009
Apparently..

that clicking sound that we are hearing is "supposedly" the "auto motion sensor"..
its "supposed" to make that noise when/if u move your laptop from any stationary position. However, my brand new mb pro 13 crashed after hearing those very clicks from the upper right hand corner, by the power button..
I took to the apple store and they didnt seem surprised that the hard drive failed..as a amatter of fact, the "genius" said that all hard drives will eventually fail..its just a matter of time. Which is true to a large degree, but within the first 30 days of use?
I think Apple is playing damage control on their unibody macbooks..when they should most likely recall them...
Im going to try a 7200 seagate or WD 320g drive..and see if that helps the situation?

dk2k9

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2009
not "Auto Motion Sensor"..

..its the "Sudden Motion Sensor"..but regardless of what they call it..it crashed my hard drive and i think should be a recall if its that common of an issue!

djvic87

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2009
Has any one else experienced the random, but rather persistent electrical sounding snap or click that occurs while navigating the computer mostly with the touchpad. It is not the hardisk (been replaced to no avail). One person on apple forums suggested that all Macbook Pros make a snapping sound because the soundcard is either powering up out of sleep or powering down. It occurs sometimes more frequently, others not at all. Apple has offered to replace the computer with a new one, but if this is an endemic problem with just about all of them, I'd rather keep the one I have.
The snapping or clicking isn't resounding, but can be rather irritating in a quiet room. At first I thought it was a short circuit sound snapping but was convinced otherwise later.
Any responses would be appreciated.

As a matter of fact, I do recall hearing a snap-like noise throughout the right side speaker of my umbp when I'm using it in a quiet room. And im not even being mistaken with the hard drive sensor. It started happening after the second day I got my umbp. But later down the road, I just got used to it.

dk2k9

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2009
cant miss the sound..

its upper right corner..by the power button..the drive is parking the head due to the motion sensor, and in my case caused complete hardware failure..
apple is replacing my drive today..id rather have a new mb pro..
recall!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.