Macbook pro 13 - Ethernet to USB/Thunderbolt

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ddany, Sep 20, 2015.

1. ddany macrumors member

Hey!

So I am going to buy a new rmbp 13", but I have a little problem. I can only use ethernet in the dorm. So the next step: I need an adapter that converts the ethernet cable to USB or Thunderbolt.
    I have 2 of both in the macbook.
    Which do you suggest?

First, I thought It would be USB. But then I realized, if I used 1 USB slot all the time, then I would have only 1 left, and that could cause problems.(For example, I want to charge my phone, I want to connect external hdd,etc.)
    So then I considered Thunderbolt adapter, but still do not know.

What do you suggest, or how would you solve this? Unfortunately, Wifi is not an option, don't ask me why. I have to adapt to the circumstances. :)

2. c8rlo, Sep 20, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2015

c8rlo macrumors 6502

c8rlo

i would go with the TB/ethernet adapter, just because you mentioned that you need the use of your USB ports. the alternative would be to buy a USB hub if you decided to use one of the the USB ports for the USB/ethernet adapter.

3. Niarlatop macrumors member

Apple sells a ThunderBolt to Gigabit Ethernet adapter. I bought it with my 2012 MacBook Air, it works great on every ThunderBolt equipped laptop.
    Go for it.
    (Ref MD463LL, $29)

If it's too expensive for you, you can buy one of these USB hub with built-in Ethernet adapter, but the official ThunderBolt adapter is less bulky than a whole hub.

4. austinpike macrumors 6502

get the TB, might was well use those ports for something...

5. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603