macbook pro 13" for photo and video editing

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by azz1047, Nov 24, 2014.

1. azz1047 macrumors newbie

Hi i am looking at buying a Macbook pro r 13" for Photoshop and some video editing, I already have a iMac 21.5" for when am at home but wanted a macbook for when am out traveling so i can still edit away from home, so was wondering if the standard macbook 13" will be ok or should i upgrade?

any help will be great thanks

2. crawler1975 macrumors regular

crawler1975

Generally it should be sufficient. however, as a pro-photographer who uses photoshop always on my work, I upgraded the RAM to 16GB. I suggest you do the same. My rmbp 13 mid-2014 works like a charm on photoshop + lightroom and occasional video editing.

3. R3fr3sh macrumors member

i do a lot of video recording on my iPhone 6 and when i tried to edit the movies on iMovie on my mid 2014 macbook pro with 8gb ram, it was almost impossible. It was laggy and stuttering real bad. Even my iPhone can do a better job than this.

Purchasing my mid 2014 "13 macbook 8gb ram, i did not think about photo and video editing, I wish i did... really regret it now

4. Meister Suspended

Meister

Never heard of an experience like that before and I seriously doubt it's ram related. I've edited uncompressed 1080p from my dslr on a base mba and it worked alright.

5. azz1047, Nov 24, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2014

azz1047 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for you help i think i will ungrade to the 16gb ram i am trying to get in to photography, how do you find the screen size some people say its to small
    as a pro photographer could you take a quick look at my website see if what i see is good lol am i allowed to post websites here? I've put my url on my profile , i would love to do it full time

thanks

----------

yer thats why i am getting advice from experienced mbp users but thats got to be a bad part on apples side i bet its caught a lot of people out thanks for your input

6. crawler1975 macrumors regular

crawler1975

With the amount of gear I usually carry on location, I wanted something portable/small and light - thus the size. I am ok with the screen size as I normally cull images when I am on field, do a very quick edit, off load it to an external hdd and plug my external monitor when I am at home (after a day's event) and do the rest of my workflow. Honestly I could have gotten Macbook Air because it is so light but the retina on the pro what really sold me.

7. azz1047 thread starter macrumors newbie

yes thats why i wanted the 13" easy transport and still practical, thats what i do all on external hdd, is there one u could recommend ?(hdd) i have a iMac at home as my everyday computer but want a laptop to take out with me to see the images on rather on the small lcd screen i have a lot of trouble with lighting its always to dark not letting enough light in or to much lol but am working on my skills all the time thats what caught my eye the retina,

8. crawler1975 macrumors regular

crawler1975

I personally use the Lacie Rugged 1TB external (USB3) - they do have the thunderbolt version. As the name implies, it is drop resistant to 4 ft. so good for field work :).

9. azz1047 thread starter macrumors newbie

yer I've seen that on the gadget show has got good reviews how do you find the speed of the Lacie Rugged ? do you recommend and assessors for the mbp ?