Macbook Pro 13 Hard Drive Upgrade

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by johnny168, Jul 23, 2011.

1. johnny168 macrumors member

Hello forum! I just got the MBP 13 about two weeks ago, and I wanted to upgrade the hard drive and ram. I figured out which ram to get, but I am stuck on the hard drive area. Could some of you give suggestions for a hard drive? Im looking to spend around $50-80 ish. A 500GB and I cant decide between a 5400, or a 7200 rpm. I want to get the most for the lowest price obviously. Thanks for your time and suggestions in advance!

2. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

I have a Samsung 640 GB 5400 RPM drive that I bought for $59.99 at Microcenter. I recommend it--I've had Samsungs before and they seem reliable.

I don't care for 7200 RPM drives in 13" MBPs--they create too much vibration for me.

3. RedRallyeZ macrumors regular

i made the upgrade from a 5400RPM Samsung drive to a 7200RPM seagate drive and have noticed a significant boost in speed. startup time is greatly improved.

4. johnny168 thread starter macrumors member

Im looking into the Western Digital Scorpio Blue or Black. Can anyone give me experience advice? Battery and sound really isnt too much of a deal, but I still want good battery and as quiet as possible. Will having a 7200 rpm really make a difference? Because if not, I would rather save my college money!

5. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

I have the 750Gb Scorpio Black and it is a great. 7200 rpm's does make a difference for some tasks. Mine is partitioned so one part includes OS, software and a most other things. The larger partition is for my photo library. I clone the smaller partition to my stock drive (320GB 5400 rpm).

I wrote a blog review on it a few months ago - see it here

6. windowstomac macrumors regular

Have any of the people using a 7200rpm drive noticed much drop in battery life?
    B

7. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

Any battery decrease?

8. Philflow macrumors 65816

Scorpio Black is quite power hungry. 1.2 watt idle @ Techreport.com

I love my Momentus XT 500GB. Here's how it performs: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMldqf5oUZw

Looking for something cheaper: Samsung HM640JJ is a good one.

Get at least a 7200rpm drive if you want performance.

9. Carl Sagan macrumors 6502a

Carl Sagan

Anyone got a good link to a video tutorial on how to do this?

10. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

I am using a stock Toshiba MK5055GSX.

I would just pick one, I mean, no brand is really going to serve you better than the other.

11. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

Hard to tell, many users report little to no decrease with the scorpio black. I cannot tell for sure but I suspect there is and it may be a 5 - 10% decrease at the most. It have never been a problem.

12. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

Okay, if it is a 5-10% decrease, I'm not terribly worried. My laptop is never away from a power source for more than a few hours because that's the only time I take it with me downstairs to watch a movie; I'm just too lazy to carry the adapter with me haha

13. tivoboy macrumors 68030

failure rate

does anyone have any specs on if the failure rate of these drives has gone down? they used to fail at more than 2x the rate of drives like the hitachi's

14. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

does anyone have any specs on if the failure rate of these drives has gone down? they used to fail at more than 2x the rate of drives like the hitachi's

One of the reasons I went with the WD Scorpio Black is a 5 year warranty - so they really stand behind it. To be safe I partitioned, one partition for my photo library. But, the first partition is for everything else which is cloned on my original Hitachi stock drive that came with my MBP. So should the WD ever fail, I can simply swap back the stock drive and no lose anything (since the last backup) and send in to WD for repair. That strategy alone is a good argument always buying a base model and getting a bigger hard drive and installing yourself, not only do you get more for less, but you have a free backup relative to paying a premium to Apple and not having a backup drive.