Macbook Pro 13" HD upgrade question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by celi8071, Jun 13, 2009.

1. celi8071 macrumors newbie

If I replaced my stock 160gb hd with this "250GB 2.5" Western DIgital Scorpio 5400RPM SATA Notebook Drive with 8MB Cache, would their be a good performance increase, speed etc. Does anyone have a good HD upgrade recommendation. Not looking for SSD.
    Thanks

2. AmpCoder macrumors 6502

I have a Seagate Momentus 7200.3 320GB HDD in my 15" MacBook Pro and it has performed very well for me. I highly recommend it.

3. Sounds Good macrumors 68000

OP, hope you don't mind my asking, but how hard is it on a Mac to transfer the entire hard drive's data to a new hard drive? And what's the best / easiest way to do it?

4. qpid macrumors regular

Couple of ways of doing it:

1. Put the new drive in an external enclosure and use a program like Super Duper to copy the old drive to the new one

2. Put in the new drive, put the old one in an external enclosure, load leopard on the computer and use the data migration option during leopard setup.

5. andothfc macrumors regular

Unless you're doing quite specific, HDD intensive tasks you'll probably not notice any real-time performance increase from the new HDD. Startup might be a little quicker but you'll really have to pay attention to spot any performance bump from the upgrade.