MacBook Pro 13" HDD upgrade - advice

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tamilboy, Sep 16, 2009.

1. tamilboy macrumors newbie

Hi...

I think im gonna buy my MacBook Pro 13" in the coming weeks. It will be the 2.5Ghz model... I see that its cheaper, if I upgrade the HDD myself. As for Desktop HDD, I normally buy Seagate or Samsung. Do they also make good 2,5" HDD or should I get something else? (Looking for 500GB) I'v also heard good things about "WD Scorpio Blue WD5000BEVT".

And can I use a 500GB 7200rpm drive with the 13" model(heat problems)? because apple only gives you the option to choose between 5400rpm HDD... 5400rpm is fine for me, but just wanna know...

Last question, do you guys think Apple will make any kind of updates before next year?

btw. This will be my first Apple notebook.. :)

thx

2. md1207 macrumors newbie

I just bought the WD Scorpio Blue 500 bundle with Enclosure kit for my 2.26 MBP. The price was great and the upgrade was really easy after watching the You Tube DIY videos. I don't have any vibration or noise, as some people have said. You can use the scorpio black or the seagate momentus. Seagate claims that the is almost no difference in power useage with thier 7200 vs. 5400. There are several threads where poeple argue about the merits of each for days. I was trying to keep the cost down so I went with the 5400rpm. Here's the link at Newegg.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136314
    I see the cost has gone up since I bought it a week ago but you can look for sales. I thing the bundle takes $10 off the price. Good luck.

3. tamilboy thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay thanks man... :) I'll go for the WD Scorpio Blue 5400rpm then.... I'll order it few days before I buy my MBP, so I can install it immediately :)