macbook pro 13" heat issue

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tvdx, Apr 12, 2011.

1. tvdx macrumors newbie

i recently (last monday) bought the lowest spec 13" macbook pro and i'm very pleased with it, however the loudness of the fan was an issue. i did a few searches and came to this forum, and i read the large thread relating to the issue of loud fan/heat problems.
    currently, i have google chrome with this site only, cpu load is 2.4%, and the cpu temperature (according to istat) is 55 degrees celsius. that seems kind of high, considering other people are reporting idle temperatures much lower than this value. the laptop is currently on my desk, and the temperature of the room is around 20 degrees celsius. the fans are running at 2000 rpm (again according to istat).
    i have now just loaded football manager 2011, and there was a temperature spike, the cpu was reaching 95 degrees celsius, whilst cpu load was at 45% and fan speed at 6000 rpm. this lasted for about a minute then settled to idle again, now i am currently playing a match on football manager, and cpu is at 95 degrees celsius, cpu load is at 28% and fan is at 6200 rpm. this has continued for the length of the match (~4 minutes) with fan constantly at 6200 rpm, cpu load at around 25% and temperature remaining at a constant 95 degrees celsius. the underside of the laptop is uncomfortably hot to the touch, i definitely wouldn't want it on my lap for any extended period of time.
    there were never any processes above 10% load on activity monitor (other than football manager)
    any help or information will be welcomed, thank you

2. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

I have the current low end 13" myself and have not experienced any heat issues. However, I removed the HD and put in my own SSD. That could be the difference as HDs do get the machine warmer.

However, it could also be an issue w/ the thermal grease, either too much or not enough. If you can easily reproduce the issue I'd take it in an show it to a Genius. A non cpu-intensive app like Football Manager really should not get the fans spinning up full bore.

3. rmitchell248 macrumors 6502

i think you may have come to the wrong site for this LOL. Many are going to tell you that it is normal and to get used to it. The bottom line is that its not normal. The 2011 release is the first machine to act like this and it is very annoying. It seems that no model is an exception and this happens to a lot of the machines. I do think this is how the 2011 SB models will run and it must have something to do with the Sandy Bridge processors and the integrated intel graphics. I doubt that you will be able to solve this issue and I sadly think you will have to deal with it or return it and get something else (non 2011 MBP). 6000 RPM fan is very loud and the improved processors are not hardly worth how often the fans come on full.

4. tvdx thread starter macrumors newbie

the loud fan happens every time i play football manager, it's very easy to reproduce.
    i think i will take it to genius to try and get it sorted, at least that might provide some clarification on wether it's supposed to be like this or not.
    thanks

5. mehanika, Apr 12, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2013
  6. tvdx thread starter macrumors newbie

currently at 72 degrees celsius, only macrumours up ^^ 4% cpu use, is that fine?

7. jegbook macrumors regular

2.4 GHz 2010 13" MBP with Samsung 7200 RPM HD. I have a number of apps open, nothing doing any real work, wired Ethernet, streaming radio with iTunes.

CPU hovering around 5% to 8%, temp is 49C, fans 2000RPM. I would call this virtually silent.

Fans tend to only be noticeable up around 4k to 6k, and that generally only happens when playing games in Windows (bootcamped).

FWIW for comparison...

8. DarkFlame macrumors regular

Please let me know when you follow up with the Mac store. I think I am having similar issues as well! I don't really play any games, but just leaving my computer on all night it was hovering at 73 degrees Celsius with the top closed. I am hooked up to a 40 inch 1080p tv so that may have something to do w/ it.