MacBook Pro 13" Heat Issues!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by charlesb80, Sep 14, 2009.

1. charlesb80 macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I just purchased my first Mac computer and I was shocked to see the results of a stress test. I get a maximum temperature of 103C on the core diodes for my P7570 (apparently the OEM version of the P8400) before the fan starts to rev up (about 1-2 minutes). This effect is the same in both Windows 7 RC1 (64-bit) and Snow Leopard. Once the fans have started to reach ~4000 RPM the temperatures stabilize at ~90C. As the maximum diode temperature for the CPU is 105C I don't think this is a desired behavior. Ironically, even with such a high diode temperature, the notebook is not hot to touch and all other temperatures are fine (CPU temperature reaches a maximum of 84C). If I force the fan speed with smcFanControl this doesn't happen.

Does anyone else have this issue with this system? I guess I need a system update to get the fan to respond quicker, but Apple will only do that if there is an issue for many people. If it is just me then I had better send the system back for replacement.

Thanks for your help!

2. Swiss Apple macrumors member

Swiss Apple

My philosophy is "Don't worry about it", especially if you have Applecare. If the heat causes it to go pop within the next three years, Apple owe you a new Macbook, no "ifs" and no "buts". They designed the thing and surely they know what will last and what won't. For the record I have the same machine and am getting temps in the high 80's and even mid 90's, but I'm not concerned at all .

3. morrisman1 macrumors 6502

It makes no sense to have silence over cool running

Download FanControl (its a preference pane) and modify your base fan speed to 1000rpm, then have it crank up at 50° and reach max at 70°. You will rarely see over 65 degrees with it like this and your fans will be silent till you go gaming or encoding.