MacBook Pro 13" HOT!?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ThomasLentati, Jul 25, 2012.

1. ThomasLentati macrumors member

ThomasLentati

Hi, my late 2011 MacBook Pro i5 is getting pretty hot! I have cleaned the Fans and everything but it's still hot, i use SMC Fan Control and the temp when just using firefoxand itunes is 55 degrees, I have a skin keyboard protector but I've taken it off because it seems like my MBP gets hotter, I suppose the MBP also breaths throughout the keyboard. So yeah, it's a bit annoying, I'm just downloading Mountain Lion from the App Store, let's see if that makes a difference by changing OS.

Thomas

2. arashb macrumors 6502

My 15" goes from anywhere between 44-80 degrees celsius. Seems like ML has made my MBP slightly warmer, but I'm too use to this by now that I've stopped paying attention to the temperatures. Just redid the thermal compound and let it be.

For the last.... a lot of years that I've had Macs they've all ran extremely hot. My aluminum iMac, plastic white MacBook, first gen Macbook Pro a few MBPs in between. All have been really hot but none have ever failed me. Complained to Apple once and they responded by telling me that the MacBooks and MacBook Pros are not laptops, they are portables. -.-

3. simsaladimbamba

In addition to monitor the temperature, you can also take a look at Activity Monitor (in your Utilities folder or found via Spotlight) and sort by CPU usage via clicking the CPU column header (thus the highest CPU usage is listed on top) and selecting "All Processes" from the SHOW dropdown menu.
    As you probably use Celsius as temperature scale, 55° C is NOT hot, as the CPU can take temps up to 105° C.

Also know, that aluminium, a metal, dissipates heat better than a plastic shell, thus the entire casing acts as a heatsink and feels warmer.
    If you want, you can take a look at thousand of similar threads found via using the Advanced Search feature of this site or any www search engine.

4. ThomasLentati thread starter macrumors member

ThomasLentati

Geez, thanks for replying! Feel better now, just scared because my old MB white would get so hot that i would get a kernel panic every 20 mins and would have to turn off. But thats because of me not treating well the hardrive by forcing every shutdown i would do. Anyway just going to switch to Mountain Lion. :)

----------

Thanks man for the advice! Much appreciated. :)

5. arashb macrumors 6502

Our macs are made to be able to get rid of the heat fast, so it's not about staying cool for these guys. As the other guy said, our enclosure is basically apart of our heatsink.

If you really wanna scare yourself use terminal and type yes > /dev/null then create new tabs and run it again since you have 2 cores. This will put your CPU to 100% usage and your computer will feel like it's on fire :p. If you ever replace your thermal compound this is a good way to check if it works.

6. ThomasLentati thread starter macrumors member

ThomasLentati

Oh ok thanks! I've just upgraded to Lion, and actually computer stays at 46 degrees. HAPPY ! :D

7. mac.fanatic macrumors 6502

Do you mean Mountain Lion?

8. ThomasLentati thread starter macrumors member

ThomasLentati

Yeah sorry I meant Mountain Lion! :)

9. ZacT94 macrumors regular

Macs have been known to run quite hot anyway. It really doesn't matter how hot the computer gets, just as long as it doesn't overheat and crash.

10. k6578 macrumors member

So it's no longer as hot after upgrading to ML?

I'm using Snow Leopard and wondering if I should get ML.

11. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

I got Chrome + itunes opened and mine is ~63 degrees...if it's not high 70s-80s, don't worry. -.-

12. ThomasLentati thread starter macrumors member

ThomasLentati

Yeah my MBP is actually running @40º Celsius with 3 apps running. (firefox, itunes, outlook)

HAPPY ! Mountain Lion is really worth the upgrade!