MacBook Pro (13"), HP 2310e, and SwitchResX. Need help!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by michaeltuckerr, Jul 15, 2011.

1. michaeltuckerr macrumors newbie

michaeltuckerr

I just received the HP 2310e monitor and I'm trying to get the resolution right - for now it's fuzzy as all get out! I downloaded SwitchResX and tried to create a custom resolution setting multiple times. I rebooted and saved and rebooted and saved again.

I figure that I must not know enough about SwitchResX to create the resolution setting on my own.

Help!?!

Thanks,
    Michael Tucker

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

You shouldn't need SwitchResX. What setting do you currently have it on? It should either be 1920x1080 or 1080p, depending on the connection type you have. They're both the same resolution (native res of the display), they just come up differently with different connections.

3. michaeltuckerr thread starter macrumors newbie

michaeltuckerr

Within SwitchResX, I try to input the 1920x1080 resolution I desire, yet after every reboot, under the current resolution tab it always says 1600x900.

There are blank spots (black vertical bars) on the monitor, so the resolution isn't filling out the monitor. I also don't know what to expect; I want a clear, crisp picture but I don't know if the HP 2310e will put out.

Should I expect it to be anything like what I see on my MacBook Pro?

4. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

It should be plenty crisp. What type of connection are you using?

5. michaeltuckerr thread starter macrumors newbie

michaeltuckerr

6. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

In that case, go into your system preferences, then displays, and select 1080p. That should give you the native res.

7. michaeltuckerr thread starter macrumors newbie

michaeltuckerr

I've tried that plenty of times and it doesn't help. Thanks, though.

8. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Ok. It may just be a funky issue with the HDMI, there are occasionally issues with that. I'm willing to bet that a DVI connection would work properly though.

9. michaeltuckerr thread starter macrumors newbie

michaeltuckerr

I honestly think I was just expecting too much. My only problem now is that I have the two black bars on the sides of my screen and I'd like to stretch the picture out so those aren't there.

10. cmm macrumors 6502a

No you aren't expecting too much and alust is correct in theory but in reality...

Here's a tutorial http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=9000286#post9000286

Did you figure it out on your own?