MacBook Pro 13-in (Mid 2012) Backlight Bleeding

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Aznboy1993, Jul 14, 2012.

1. Aznboy1993 macrumors newbie

Aznboy1993

Hello there,

I just recently (14 July 2012) purchased a base model 13-in Mid 2012 MacBook Pro and I am having issues with backlight bleeding. I am across it when installing Windows 7 via Boot Camp. During the Windows boot up process the screen is all black and I noticed backlight bleeding exactly like the gentleman in this thread is having. It's like 7-8 light "spots" emanating about 1 inch upwards from the bottom of the screen. It's quite noticeable even on default 50% brightness and in a moderately lit room (i.e. incandescent bulbs), but only on a pure black background (i.e. movie with letterboxes).

Since I just purchased this product today (technically yesterday at the time of writing this), I would just like to get it exchanged at my local Apple store that I bought it from. However, I do not know exactly how to go about this. Should I just walk into the store (no appointment?) and say that I have a backlight bleeding issue and ask them for a replacement laptop? Or...?

Any input would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

2. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

I don't see any problem with just walking in on this one. You bought it today according to your stated date of purchase. Computer displays are not made with amazing quality control, so this does happen. It's not unique to any one brand, although some designs may be more or less prone to the issue. I welcome the day when displays are no longer backlit (or edgelit).

3. Aznboy1993 thread starter macrumors newbie

Aznboy1993

Thanks I'll do that. Do you (or anyone else) happen to know if the original purchaser of the product needs to be present at the time of exchange? Reason I ask is because my dad bought the laptop for me using his credit card and it'd be far more convenient if I just drove myself and took care of it.

4. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

I have no idea if the original purchaser has to be there. You could call and ask.

5. Aznboy1993 thread starter macrumors newbie

Aznboy1993

I just went ahead and took my dad with me the other day (Saturday), but it turned out that I didn't really need him. All they did was take the old one and give me the new one and I was well on my way.

However, I STILL have the same backlight bleeding issues. Maybe it's just a bad batch at my store. I will try going back to a different store in my area (Lenox Square) as opposed to Perimeter (I live in the greater metro Atlanta area). Do you guys know how often the Apple Stores get new shipments of MacBook Pros (13-inch base model)?

6. dbam987 macrumors regular

One thing to try before you take home the replacement is to open up the MBP in the store to do a quick test run. I've heard several people do this before, so its worth a shot.

7. jksu macrumors regular

just walk into an apple store. they are usually pretty well staffed. or you can always set up an appointment online too.

they should be able to do the exchange/replacement whether you bought it online or at a local store.

had similar issue with my 2010 macbook air 11" and exchange was easy.