MacBook pro 13 inch and adobe cs design premium.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Schunn99, Apr 21, 2012.

1. Schunn99 macrumors newbie

new to the forums, I am looking at a buy my first mac, I am familar with mac, used them for my first undergrad in photography. I am thinking about a macbook pro 13 inch. My question is this is a hardware one. I am going into a graphic design program in the fall, and I am going to buy a educational copy of cs5.5 or 6 for mac (whenever it comes out) in the fall.
    I am thinking about buying either a 13 inch late 2011 or a new 15 inch 2012 when it comes out.

My question is do you need a dedicated graphic card like the AMD Radeon HD 6750M with 512MB in the MBP 15 inch to help run the creative suite? I am looking at the buying the design premium suite (indesign, flash, dreamweaver, photoshop) or can I buy a 13 inch with the integrated graphics and just upgrade the ram from 4gb to 8gb etc.

I guess my question is this do I need the dedicated graphic card or not with cs5.5/6.

Thanks,
    Schunn99
    First time Mac buyer

2. Man9z0r macrumors regular

Man9z0r

I have used a 13 inch connected to an external display no problem. Really you don't need dedicated graphics unless you play lots of game or have lots of video editing. I have done some video editing and Motion stuff no problem on the 13inch but it wasn't very fun rendering it.

If you are okay with the 13 inch screen the hardware is more then enough for the Adobe suite.

3. malman89 macrumors 68000

Depends on what you need it for and how heavy your usage is.

I am far from a heavy Adobe CS5.5 user, but I have the entire suite on my Late 2006 MacBook and everything runs just fine. Then again, my average use is to have Illustrator and/or Photoshop open while editing or creating graphics or fliers for work. It works just fine editing and creating with multiple files open.

This is on a laptop with about a decade old miserable graphics and 3.3 GB of RAM and a Core2Duo. So that's a pretty low baseline to use.