Macbook Pro 13-inch Battery problem?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Knisis, Nov 17, 2009.

1. Knisis macrumors newbie

Recently I bought a brand new Macbook Pro 13inch, and by far its a very good.
    I've had multiple Mac Laptops before, and each one I've always had a poor battery.
    Call me paranoid, but my new Macbook Pro is only 6 weeks old, 27 cycles, and 89% health.

Is this bad?
    The fact that the health has diminished so quickly is quite distressing, because I don't want to have a battery that is not as good as it should be ):, plus during school I usually don't want it to die on me.
    When I first got it, at a full charge it would tell me I had about 8 hours of life (50% brightness, word processing) but now it's along the lines of only 5 hours for the same settings. I usually use my laptop from a full charge to around 40%, then charge it back up again.

I read a lot of other posts about battery problems, so I tried calibrating it, but it got worse from 94% to 89%.

Any ideas? Cheers

2. ninerdyhrd macrumors newbie

logic board/battery connector bad?

I recently brought my macbook in because it would just blink off. they sent it away, called and said it had liquid damage and the battery connector and logic board needed to be replaced. 800 dollars!! i told them forget it, send it back. when i got home i hooked it up with the battery only. no response. with the battery and charger. turn on for a few seconds and blink off. removed the battery and hooked it up to the charger by itself. Walla! starts up, works great. i'm sending this message on the thing! can this happen with a bad logic board and battery connector?

3. GeekGirl* macrumors 65816

GeekGirl*

4. rwd hero macrumors 6502

My 13", on 100% brightness lasts about 4 hours. I haven't seen any battery loss in the 4 months i have had it. This is the best battery i have ever had on a laptop. My HP would last about 20 minutes surfing the internet, my MBP lasts around 4-5 hours.

5. Knisis thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes the battery is good

Yeah, I know what you mean.
    The battery in these laptops last for a lot longer than my old iBook/Powerbook etc ever could've lasted, but I just don't want to get a battery that doesn't last as long as it could.

6. prodigee macrumors 6502a

I have had my MBP 13" since August 2nd, and my battery has 55 cycles and is at 99% health. I would recommend calibrating your battery, and see what results that brings you.

7. JacobHolmes, Nov 17, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2010

JacobHolmes macrumors newbie

JacobHolmes

Same... But AluBook

My 2008 Aluminum MacBook's battery is depleting quickly... It always says "Service Battery" when I click on the battery icon in the menubar. It runs for about 40 minutes, and then when it gets low, (about 20%) it just shuts right off!!! No warning! Its really stressful. This old iBook has better battery life then my poor MacBook. Can someone please help me?

8. Knisis thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmm I think I'll try another calibration later today then.

An what's with people thread hijacking? it's kind of annoying... :mad:

9. Corrode macrumors 6502a

Corrode

I would wait a bit until it gets closer to 80%. If your battery truly is faulty, then it will be at 80% before 1000 cycles. And that's the official stat Apple uses to determine whether or not they'll replace your battery. So I'd just hang tight till then.

Also, many argue that calibrating your battery actually reduces its life, so I wouldn't do it again if you've just done one.

10. Knisis thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks

Hmm that makes sense, thank you.
    I'll calibrate after about 2 months and see if there's any improvement.
    I also got the extended Apple Care so it should be fine I hope :p

11. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

Don't worry, OP, threads shall not beith hijacked in my presence!!

At any rate I'd talk to Apple about replacing the battery if you can't improve its health. 8x% after only so many months is absurd for a battery advertised to last "1000 cycles". Once they take care of the issue I recommend you calibrate as SOON as you get your new battery.