macbook pro 13 inch dock ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by apple tech geek, Dec 14, 2016.

1. apple tech geek macrumors member

apple tech geek

i own a non retina late 2011 macbook pro 13 inch and i want to use it as my setup when i moved but i dont want to connect 1 million cables everytime i need to use my mac on the go
    is there a dock whitch i can use?
    cheap please i saw these thunderbolt docks and there too expensive for what they are
    what i want is
    power
    display
    usb ports
    nothing more :)
    thx for the help

2. New_Mac_Smell macrumors 65816

New_Mac_Smell

If you want power and display the only way is going to be using a thunderbolt dock I'm afraid.

3. apple tech geek thread starter macrumors member

apple tech geek

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I don't think TB docks are that cheap, but then I could be wrong.

5. apple tech geek thread starter macrumors member

apple tech geek

does this one have 1 or 2 thunderbolt ports? i own a late 2011 mbp so alot of docks wont work since the new docks use 2 thunderbolt ports
    and how do i turn on my mac when its in that stand?

6. New_Mac_Smell macrumors 65816

New_Mac_Smell

That is literally a piece of plastic that you stick your laptop into, which then has the exact same ports coming out of the back. You may as well just stick the cables in the side as that's all it's doing! The only benefit is speed here, and it's not what I would personally class as a 'Dock', more a cable extender.

Also OP, when you say 'Power', what do you mean? Do you mean a powered USB hub, or provide power to the laptop? As you can only power it via MagSafe or using a Frankenstein station like the quote.

7. chabig macrumors 68040

That fits your machine. You don't turn your Mac on in the dock. It will be on when you insert it.

8. apple tech geek thread starter macrumors member

apple tech geek

i mean a hub like where i have to plug in the thunderbolty and power only and the rest is plugged in already

9. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

It is all about the speed though surely or why bother with a dock at all, it's also cheap and thunderbolt docks are expensive the OP specifically said they didn't want t spend a lot of money.