Macbook Pro 13 inch doesnt work on University Wifi

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MrPeanut, Oct 6, 2009.

1. MrPeanut macrumors regular

My university has a Wifi all other the grounds but i can only use it occasionally with my macbook for some reason. It sometimes loads things like google reader or google searches but i cant look at google images or anything. Everyone else just loads safari or the equivalent and enters an email address and they can browse. Mine does that but then stops and starts working every so often.

thanks

2. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

What kinda authentication are they using?

Do they use the eduroam network there too?

3. MrPeanut thread starter macrumors regular

I'm not sure, i think it uses something called BlueSocket. www.bluesocket.com That's what is displayed when you load a webbrowser

4. vant macrumors 65816

I had OpenDNS setup as my DNS server which caused problems when I tried to connect to UW's network.

5. skye12 macrumors 65816

skye12

The problems with the wifi network and/or some tech issue with authorization-MB's work great with wireless.

6. MrPeanut thread starter macrumors regular

I contacted some teachers about this and they were really helpful and basically told me to contact the help desk. I just looked on a FAQ on the wifi for my university and it says the help desk cant provide support for people have problems connecting to wifi. I wonder why this is though, my friends macbook 13 inch (the first unibody macbook) works fine and all my other friend's laptops work so i dont know what's wrong with mine.

7. Gamoe macrumors regular

MrPeanut, the local college here uses BlueSocket and it works just fine on my MBP. It redirects the first web page I try to go to to a login page, then leaves a little window open that "maintains" the connection. Never had a problem with it.

8. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

If it uses a browser script and you'll have to keep a window open, then try run Safari in 32-bit mode.

I've had much problems with Safari extensions and such after SL, but once I realized that many of the 3rd party addins or extensions was 32-bit I've fixed all my issues. If you don't use Snow Leopard, then I'm clueless

9. solusoracle macrumors member

I'm not sure if this is the problem you were having, but at my university, I was required to register my MAC address with Information Services before I could access their WIFI network. During this process they scanned my system for viruses before they would allow me access to the network.

10. Eruanno macrumors newbie

Huh, that's odd. I have a friend who has a black MacBook that won't connect to the university wifi either, whereas my MBP logs on just fine without any issues.

11. MrPeanut thread starter macrumors regular

For those that asked, i can connect it just drops. I think the person who mentioned the SL compatibility thing with 64 bit safari could be the problem as my friend who has a macbook with 10.5 has no problems.

12. MrPeanut thread starter macrumors regular

I tried the 32 bit version of safari today, it didnt work and neither did IE on Windows 7 so it can't be an OS problem. I think i'm a little stuck with this because i'll take it to apple and they'll say the wifi works because it does, just not at university (where they can't test it)

13. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

Visit the help desk in person, and ask politely for help. Repeatedly, in case they try to turn you away the first time.

As a student, your tuition helps support the costs of that wireless service. That service is geared toward students, by aiding their studies and creating an environment where information exchange is ubiquitous.

My entire campus is wireless, and administration uses that as a selling feature to attract new candidates. If the tech help desk started turning students away over an issue like this, heads would roll.

14. devilstrider macrumors 6502a

15. Stvwndr219 macrumors 6502

Maybe a problem with 10.6.5 as well. I've been having trouble since this update.

16. temiller macrumors member

Like everything that was stated earlier, go to your IT/help desk and explain the problem to them. They'll have a better understanding of the network and the possible issue your having.