MacBook Pro (13-inch, Early 2011) -> TouchBar rMBP-13 Best Manual Migration ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mistergadgett, Oct 28, 2016.

1. mistergadgett macrumors member

Howdy,

I am considering setting up my new rMBP-13 w/ Touchbar as a "new machine". I obviously have loads of data and Apps on my current MBP and yet I'm still interested in a manual type migration (maybe I'll feel it's foolish once I get started LOL) . Current MBP has a hybrid 1000GB drive which is about 90% full. New rMBP-Touch will have the 512GB SSD.

Since it apparently will take some weeks for the new rMBP to arrive (what's with this new trend of making everything a "pre-order" o_O anyways), I have some time to think about this migration process and how to best deal with going from 1000GB to 512GB internal drive.

What are some recommendations or Do's and Don't other folks have encountered in other manual migrations between Apple computers? I have not done the manual migration before.

Also, any recommendations on how to deal with the internal hard drive shinkage? Maybe implementation of some external RAID stack with a fast connection and some cloud storage combo solution? Suggestions / Recommendations on that?

Thanks so much!

2. mistergadgett thread starter macrumors member