Macbook Pro 13 Inch Fan Problem - Fan Control Doesn't Work?!

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by J69UK, Nov 29, 2011.

1. J69UK macrumors newbie

Hi all

I have a Macbook Pro 13 Inch and have had this problem for a few months now.. and after browsing through different forums have seen that these do have a lot of heating/fan problems.

Basically, my fan makes a constant 'whirring' noise.. like it's struggling?

I've taken it apart, cleaned it, put it back together - no luck - I'm usually good with things like that.

When I play games the laptop gets very hot and it seems as though the fans cannot manage the cooling.. for this I thought I'd download smcFan Control to manage the fan speeds myself.. So, I downloaded it, installed it, and set the fan speeds to maximum.. but the fan hasn't changed at all.. no 3 second speed bursts.. nothing.. as though I haven't installed anything..?

The fan control is in the toolbar at the top and reports at this very moment 54 degrees C and 1497rpm.. and it doesn't move up from there when I tell it to?

Would love it if somebody here had some helpful suggestions as I've had to resort to leaving the screws off the bottom of the casing and propping it up on a backless stand so that it can cool down as I'm working on it!!

A nightmare as you could possibly imagine :)

Speak soon guys!

Jack

2. HellDiverUK macrumors 6502

Yeah, posting a MacBook Pro question in the Mac Pro forum is going to get you lots of answers. :rolleyes:

The fan on my 13" MacBook Pro didn't go much either, and when gaming the laptop did get hot. Only when doing something like encoding using Handbrake did the fan really go fast.

54C is only half way up the CPU's temp range - they'll run until 110C. Start worrying when the temp gets over 80C. 54C is totally normal.

3. J69UK thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey yeah.. I just mean it's like that at this moment.. I'm not doing anything overly taxing.. but it's still making that 'whirring' sound for some reason? Like it's struggling? It's when I play Football Manager that it gets crazy hot and starts going laggy.. I just need to get the fan sorted but don't know how! I have no idea why FanControl will not actually CONTROL my fan either??