MacBook Pro 13 inch. is overheat?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by joykovic, May 14, 2010.

1. joykovic macrumors newbie

Hi, my macbook pro 13 inch is less than a year old, but just today I noticed that it's running rather hot and I can hear a relatively big noise when it is running. I'd like to know if this is normal, since I remember that my computer has been really quiet and there was hardly any noise when I was using it. Thanks and hope nothing is wrong with my mac book=)

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Go to Activity Monitor and select to SHOW ALL PROCESS and sort by CPU usage and monitor for any two-digit processes that might hog up the CPU. The noise you hear is probably the fan. You can use the iStat Pro widget to monitor the fan speed. Normally it should idle at 2000RPM.

3. johnnymg macrumors 65816

johnnymg

Download istat pro and install it in the dashboard. Istat will display internal temps and fan speeds.

good luck
    JohnG

4. joykovic thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the fast reply! I just downloaded it and it shows "Exhaust 1999RPM" Does exhaust mean that something is wrong with my fan? Also, I noticed that my battery health is 78%, my macbook is only less than one year old... is this normal? Thanks again=)

5. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

exhaust = your fan.
    dl smcfancontrol, it allows you to control your fan rpm, pretty nice :)

6. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

~2000 RPM is the standard, when the computer goes really hot it can go to 6000 RPM