Macbook Pro 13 Inch (Mid 2009) issues booting

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by fastfwd, Jun 8, 2014.

1. fastfwd macrumors newbie

Hi all,

New to the forum and slightly new to mac's also. I'm a 15 year system engineer Veteran but mac's are not something in my specialty. I received a Macbook pro from a friend who said i could have it because its broken.

It had ram issues so i replaced the ram and finally got it turning on. After turning on it was booting to a flashing folder with a question mark. I believe that looked like it couldn't find a bootable image or issues with booting. Googled the issue and sure enough i was correct. Sources told me i should boot into the disk repair mode using the command key. I have done so and when i do it, it brings up a cursor on a blank grey screen for a few minutes until it comes up with a picture of a flashing hard drive with a world globe on top of it. Did some more googling and after much difficulty finding out what that meant, it sounds like it cant find and image so it wants to boot from the net.

I replaced 3 different hard drives to see if it can find another HDD but it didnt change anything.

What is my next option to get this thing running? The laptop looks almost brand new, very little wear and tear. I don't have a Mac OS CD but i can probably get one if need be.

2. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Try to get a bootable OS X installer in a USB disk.

3. fastfwd thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks im downloading a copy now.

Booting from the USB the same as doing it from windows environment? do i have to do anything special? make a journal format or Fat32?

And then hold option key when booting?

4. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Format it as Mac OS Extended, Journaled, with a GUID Partition Table.

Then, use DiskMaker X to make the USB bootable.

To boot from the USB, hold down Option during the startup chime.