Macbook Pro 13 Inch programming

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Bkwyatt, Jan 11, 2013.

1. Bkwyatt macrumors newbie

So I have a base model mid 2012 macbook pro 13 inch and I just started college and I will be doing a lot of java,c++ and visual basic programming so has anyone done boot camp with windows to do visual basic I need really good performance as I will be running other apps along with the programming apps I was thinking about getting a Alienware MX 14 to take with me to college.

2. xShane macrumors 6502a

xShane

Not sure, but I think this thread would get your more support in the 'Programming' section :p

3. Stetrain macrumors 68040

I have a 2008 13" Aluminum Macbook (with SSD upgrade) and love it for college programming work. Java development in OSX is fine (I personally use Netbeans), and so is C/C++ development if your courses are centered around using GCC.

If the C++ courses are more Windows/Microsoft-centric then just run Visual Studio in a Windows virtual machine using Parallels or VMWare Fusion, rather than using bootcamp which requires a reboot to switch operating systems.

Visual studio (and most programming in general) isn't really that intensive unless you're compiling some gigantic enterprise software project.

4. Bkwyatt thread starter macrumors newbie

The only thing with virtual machine you don't have full processing power for windows among other apps some of the things I will be doing is graphic intensive and the Intel 4000 graphics is not exactly a beast lol. I should have went with a 15 inch model and got the AMD graphics but oh well you live and learn. with programming your probably right performance shouldn't be a problem, But in the graphics depot I may have to get the Alienware with the GT 650m.

5. Stetrain macrumors 68040

For programming a VM is perfectly fine, but for gaming not so much.

If you're looking for a laptop with a dedicated GPU in the same price range as the 13" MBP then the Alienware is probably a decent choice.

The 15" MBP has the same GPU, but it's also more expensive at the base configuration.

6. mslide macrumors 6502a

What exactly will you be doing when you say 'graphics intensive'? The HD4000 is no slouch. As far as programming and VMs go, the 13" MBP is more than enough. That's my daily work machine for programming.

Personally, I think Macs are the perfect machines for programming unless you live in a Windows only world and are forced to use something like Visual Studio all day long. Reason being you have UNIX under the hood and all the standard utilities that come with that. Sure, you can sort of get that with a Windows machine by using cygwin/msys and/or running linux in a VM but it's just not the same as having Terminal right there out of the box.

7. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

Sounds to me as if there was some CGI or game developing involved. In that case a native windows machine is probably a good idea. I wouldn't get a M14x though. That thing is huge, heavy and ugly gaming machine. That is like the Porsche 911 isn't perfect for me I am going ahead and buy a Dodge RAM (instead of a some other sportscar or BMW M5 or something)
    Get the new Series 7 Samsung Chronos or something similar.

8. Bkwyatt, Jan 12, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2013

Bkwyatt thread starter macrumors newbie

I will be doing some game design and development. For me the m14x isn't that heavy its just 6.45 pounds I personally like the alienware laptops but I can understand why people dont like them the samsung laptops are very sleek along with macbooks but when you need a laptop with powerful graphics its hard to find one very thin and sleek because you need all the space for hardware and cooling.