MacBook Pro 13 inch protection

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DIB1952, Aug 14, 2011.

1. DIB1952 macrumors newbie

I have just purchased my first Mac (MacBook Pro 13 inch)and would like to keep it in pristine condition. Any advice on the relative pros and cons of sleeves verses cases and recommended products? The Mac will be used at home and work but no great amounts of travelling will be involved.

2. clutchm3 macrumors regular

clutchm3

I would also like to know this for my 17 inch. I heard some good reviews about Speck cases...don't know if Zagg is worth it. Comments?:confused:

3. Blondie :) macrumors 6502a

Blondie :)

I have both a sleeve and a case.

Everyone says that cases will scratch your MBP. This is false, if you buy the right case. The only reason cases usually scratch computers anyways is because people don't take them off often enough and dirt and such gets underneath the case. I personally have the incase perforated hardshell case: http://www.goincase.com/products/detail/perforated-hardshell-case-cl57467

The sleeve is also nice though, because it covers your computer completely. I really enjoy it for traveling. However, most people like to use just a sleeve because they never use their computer in an environment that requires a case.

Since I'm a student, I generally just keep my hardshell case on my MBP. It keeps it from killing the computer when I'm taking it in/out of my car. However, I work in an area that gets dusty pretty often. So, I have to take my case off and clean everything. All in all, both are good, it's just preference.

4. Adamantoise macrumors 6502a

I think this what it boils down to.

I'm no longer a student, but I cannot see why I would need a hard case while using my MBP in the comfort of my home.

5. rainking macrumors regular

Just leave it as is. It's a computer, use it. By the time it looks like crap, it will be time to upgrade anyways.

6. Adamantoise macrumors 6502a

Lol no, the MBP doesn't take long to look like crap. Especially the keyboard.

If you use it on a daily basis expect it to wear in 4 months.

7. maril1111 macrumors 68000

maril1111

If you clean it regularly (every couple of weeks) it will take at least 1 year+ And also depends in the conditions you use it in on daily basis.

I have an invisible shield (zagg) on mine and a screen cover and I am really satisfied.

8. Blondie :) macrumors 6502a

Blondie :)

Exactly. When I'm at home I take my case off to clean my computer, and then I just leave the case off for a few days, or until I go back to work haha

9. chazmink macrumors member

I purchased a sleeve from Maccase and a keyboard skin from Moshi. Finally, I applied the full set of Bodyguardz to the machine (except for the track pad)

10. DIB1952 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for feedback folks -it's a start at least:)

11. randomrazr macrumors 65816

sleev first (recomend incase neorpene sleeve)

if u think u want a hardshell, go for that after

12. cz9h3d macrumors member

I keep my new 13" in the box it came in, and just use an old Dell as my daily machine. My MBP looks like new still!!

Seriously - have a new 13" MBP (few days old). My first (have had an iMac). Why do I feel the need to protect it so? Why must it look like a work of art, and be made of aluminum that will scratch and make me cringe??

I've been weighing my options - if this is the machine my family picks up (i.e. 10 and 12yo kids), than I'm inclined for some significant protection. I haven't been able to decide between an inCase frost shell (which will still show the aluminum, but not show scratches like the Speck, but darn they are hard to find), or get an iCarbons skin (they look great, but hate to cover the beautiful machine up so much - and to get black or white? - and when will another 25% coupon appear?).

With the inCase shell, I'd likely pair it with a Moshi Palmguard. I already have a rearth keyboard cover.

If I was the only one using it, then I'd likely not bother with the exterior protection (I'm careful), and just add the palmguard and keyboard guard. I really don't want this to end up looking like the automotive equivalent of a vehicle with a front-end bra, side window vent shields, door edge guards, fake vinyl top, etc.

I picked up a STM Jacket for my sleeve. Nice looking, small, but can use it to carry out to the coffee shop if needed.

13. Maschil macrumors 6502a

Maschil

the reason why i am getting the hard shall case is mostly becasue i want my computer to be black. lol but i would just get a speck case... and then the incase bag instead of getting a sleeve. These are the items i plan on getting if amazon lets me use my coupon...

Case 30$
    http://www.amazon.com/Speck-Product...2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1313363321&sr=1-2

bag 50$ (check on ebay may find one without a shoulder strap for cheaper)
    http://www.amazon.com/Incase-Nylon-...?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1313363593&sr=1-14

or this if you like (some company slightly different bag) $50
    http://www.amazon.com/Incase-Design...7?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1313363593&sr=1-7

keyboard skin $3 (i would recommend moshi's but im cheap... rather get a 3 dollar one. lol)
    http://www.amazon.com/Aluminum-Unibody-Silicone-Keyboard-Cover/dp/B002TPL260/ref=pd_cp_e_1

and this because the keyboard skin will leave prints on your lcd screen
    lcd screen protector $5
    http://www.amazon.com/Reusable-Protector-Cleaning-13-3-Inch-Widescreen/dp/B001E1X67I/ref=pd_cp_e_3

or you can just get this 3 in 1 bundle $22
    http://www.amazon.com/Bluecell-Rubb...rbolt-Thunderbolt/dp/B005ACCPDI/ref=pd_cp_e_3

but it looks alittle cheap....

A sleeve doesnt seem worth it if you can get incase bag.... its a two for one deal because you have a sleeve and carrying bag...

14. dmccloud macrumors 6502a

dmccloud

I use the Speck satin hardshell case in black for my MBP, and I carry it around in a SwissGear backpack that is designed for laptops. It allows me to carry the laptop, AC adapter, and Magic Mouse and have room for anything else I may need. I do take the case off about once every two weeks to clean the laptop and make sure there's no dirt or silt under the plastic (here in Alaska, we have a lot of glacial silt in the soil - finely ground stone - and it can scratch up stuff if you're not careful).

Between the case and the bag, I haven't had any issues with the MBP getting scratched or otherwise dinged up, even after traveling from Alaska to Tennessee and back.

15. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

Since it is home use, I'd suggest just getting a sleeve because a case would just be weird at home. You'd want to take it off when you're at home but put it back on when you go out. That will get annoying.

If you want to keep the keyboard pristine, get a keyboard cover.

16. fisherking macrumors 603

fisherking

i carry my mbp in a booq sleeve (in my backpack).

it's easy to take care of the mbp; shut it down, clean it occasionally.
    mine's over 2 1/2 years old and looks brand new...

not complicated!

17. Pathfinder3 macrumors member

When I travel, I usually keep it in my incase sleeve that's inside my backpack. But over the years (since November 2008) my MBP been dropped several times dinging it up a bit. It was with me when I was in Kuwait and with me now in Afghanistan. Like my cell phone, I like to keep my devices nude. All the little scratches gives my MBP and phone character. lol

18. njsa04playa macrumors 6502

if you are just going to be at home i recommend a sleeve for when u go out, but if you are constantly hanging work environments pulling a computer in and out of a sleeve will get annoying, so a hardshell will excel there

19. palpatine macrumors 68040

hardcase. it is inexpensive and protects it against abuse. sleeve as well if you go out.

20. ladytonya macrumors 6502a

Incase Deluxe Protective Sleeve! I swear by this thing. I had a friend who had the Speck case and it scratched up their MBP like crazy, I would NEVER put one of those on my baby!

At home, I'm always sitting in my living room chair with the MBP on my lap or on the ottoman in front of me. If I take it out of the house, it's in the sleeve. If I'm going to school, it's in my backpack. If I'm going to work, it's just in a canvas messenger bag or sometimes just in the sleeve if I don't need any accessories other than the charger. The great thing about the Incase sleeve is that if you just want to take your computer, you can and there is a pocket on the outside for the magsafe if you want to take it along, Or, if it's in the sleeve, you can throw it in any bag without the need for an expensive laptop bag or backpack or whatever. Love it!

21. clutchm3 macrumors regular

clutchm3

Speck cases seem to get my vote for now. Incase does not really do it for me. Also they have a lack of cases for 17 inch macbook pros.

22. pcomac macrumors regular

so... the only real thing that a case does is that it protects the mbp from scratches? i have a cheep case logic sleeve. its does its job