Macbook Pro 13 inch RAM info

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sonnydays, Jun 8, 2009.

1. sonnydays macrumors newbie

Hello, I am planning on getting the Macbook Pro 13 inch model. This will be my first ever mac and I am wondering what kind of RAM it uses. Since this is a new model I cannot find much information on it from the Apple support site.

My best guess would be that it uses the 204-pin DDR3 RAM. If so anyone have a good company to buy this RAM from? I want to take advantage of upgrading the memory myself instead of paying more for Apple to upgrade it.

Any tips/advice for a new future mac user would also be welcomed. I am going to be a college freshman this fall so any software recommendations etc... would be great.

Thank you!

2. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

Get it from Crucial. And yes, they're 204pin 1066 DDR3 SODIMMs.

3. sonnydays thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you, do you have any input on 2.26ghz vs 2.53ghz. Pretty big price difference, the most intensive thing I would do on my macbook is maybe some light video editting and HD movies perhaps.

Will I need the 2.53ghz or is the 2.26ghz more cost effective?

4. iMeat macrumors member

I went with the 2.26, im doing about the same amount of work. Just doesnt seem worth the extra money for the bump.

here is about the best deal i can find on the ram.

http://www.amazon.com/Crucial-CT2KIT25664BC1067-204-PIN-PC3-8500-SODIMM/dp/B001KUL012/ref=wl_it_dp?ie=UTF8&coliid=I1JMZLC2C5T4QO&colid=2CTJ8ONGB59ER

5. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

I'd recommend the 2.26. The extra processing power wont help you all that much when editing video. Most of that power comes from the 9400m, and since both models have the same graphics card, I'm recommending the 2.26.

Just up the RAM to 4GB and you will have an awesome machine with all the same features.

6. sonnydays thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you guys for all the help. I just put in an order for the 2.26ghz 13'' macbook pro. Used some extra money to pick up a SSD.

Can't wait until it arrives! Something about finally getting a mac is really exciting. :D

7. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

Congrats!! Make sure to post pictures when you get it. :)

8. sonnydays thread starter macrumors newbie

Sure thing! Thanks for all the help!

9. ajones46 macrumors 6502

crucial is actually coming up more expensive than just buying direct from apple and having it already installed. Are these ones from Crucial somehow better? And yes, I know this thread is from a little while ago.