MacBook Pro 13 Inch Screen Colour Issues

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by dotbin, Dec 1, 2010.

1. dotbin macrumors newbie

Hi

It seems that my MacBook Pro 13 inch screen is a little odd in the colour sense.

The main thing I've noticed is that light blue appears more purple. This is concerning me as I do some web design and photo editing where colour obviously matters.

I've tried calibrating the screen which makes sacrifices in other areas of the screen without totally removing the odd colouring.

I find it difficult because overall the screen looks great. I just can't be sure that what I'm seeing is accurate and representative of other screens.

Screen model: 9cc9 - N133I6-L10

If anyone has a hardware configured screen profile for this model I would like to give it a try to see what results it yields.

Any other opinions will be of great help.

2. Phrasikleia macrumors 601

Phrasikleia

Well, trying to calibrate a laptop screen is just a losing proposition. Even if it's hardware calibrated (with an external puck), the screen is just not up to snuff for photo editing. The real solution is to introduce an external IPS display, which will give you greater color accuracy. Short of that, at least invest in a proper calibrator (hardware puck that hangs over the monitor), if you haven't done so already.

3. Ruahrc macrumors 65816

Can't say I totally agree with this. After calibration, the screen on my 13" MBP is very close to my IPS 2209WA. Images displayed side-by-side on them are consistent except perhaps under very careful study. The trick was having to custom define a white point as just using 6500K seemed to make everything go pink. After eyeball matching the white point the calibration was great. The biggest issue I have is the viewing angle sensitivity, if you view it at the right angle it is consistent, but deviate and it gets lighter/darker than the IPS screen.

To the OP, you need to get your own hardware calibrator. If you are doing color sensitive work then there is no excuse. Using others' profiles is not the answer as every individual display is different (why they sell hardware calibrators in the first place!).

Ruahrc