Macbook Pro 13 inch VS. ipad 2 wifi

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by makris0000, Jul 20, 2011.

1. makris0000, Jul 20, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2011

makris0000 macrumors member

Hi this is my first post. I am a college student and i need a new mac or ipad. I use my current macbook to take notes, look things up, etc for school and some gaming on my off time. I do not know if i should get an ipad 2 wifi or the macbook pro 13 inch for school. Please help me

2. Man9z0r macrumors regular

Man9z0r

I would first have to start this by asking the question what kind of stuff would you do at school with it? I know that sounds like a silly question but it explains a lot. If you are just planning on notes and little things like that I would say the iPad is great.

Although I don't think I would recommend it if you are planning on doing papers, PowerPoint stuff and things of that nature. The MBP in my opinion would be a lot better option because of the ease of use and full desktop. I mean it could be done with an iPad I just think it would be a pain.

I personally have both and use them for school. I love the iPad with a stylus for taking notes and the such. Although I think I would have my productivity slowed down a lot if that was all I had.

I hope this helps you out! :D

3. MooseBlood macrumors member

I'm in agreement with Man9z0r. As somebody who owns a couple of Macbooks, a fully tricked out iPad (original version, 64 gig with 3G), and a couple of iPhones (3Gs and 4G) then I can see how this is a bit of a dilemma, but the Macbook is the easy and correct answer for a student.

Some things to consider.... do you create a lot of files? If so, the iPad is not the most friendly device for saving them since it requires an add-on like Dropbox to even store files you create. Do you ever use an optical drive? If so, the Macbook is your only real practical option. Do you type long papers? If so, you aren't going to want to do it on an iPad and then figure out how in the heck you are going to get the thing to a printer. It's of course possible and I'm sure many will disagree with my reasoning.... but I see the products as very complimentary and complementary of each other.

I use my phone for calls and noodling around with very basic internet stuff and game playing. Checking emails and quick responses while I'm at work. The iPad would be my device I goof around with when I get home. I read books on it, maybe browse a few newspaper sites, read some email and do some quick replies, goof around with my game apps, and do more entertaining sort of things. Maybe watch a soccer game using my MLS Matchday app or watch a movie with Netflix while I relax.

When I need to get anything done production wise and do it quickly, then out comes the Macbook. For my photo storage, music storage, documents, posting on websites, reading and responding to forums, and any heavy duty internet usage then I always reach for the Macbook.

One big bonus for the Macbook is that I taught school for years and had a Macbook that got beat on for 4 straight years and finally gave up at the end of this past year. But it lasted 4 years in a row of nearly constant use throughout the school day doing presentations through a projector, online activities with the class, grade upkeep, lesson planning, tracking with spreadsheets, compiling class videos and photo slideshows. Creating student portfolios by scanning in work, making worksheets and learning modules, daily emails, web surfing, and it took a beating. In and out of the bag everyday for 4 straight years before it gave me plenty of warning that it was having a breakdown and I was able to pull everything off of the harddrive using Time Machine and pick up right where I left off with another machine and not miss a beat. It was the most reliable and excellent computer I've ever owned all around. Others have been faster, bigger, cheaper, etc. But NONE have matched the overall productivity and scope of uses that the Macbook provided me. And that was just the cheaper version white plastic that my employer provided me. It made my life much much much easier.

I think the time is very near where the iPad will be the full replacement for the notebook/laptop computer just as the Macbook has stepped in and admirably replaced so many people's desktop computers because it does what the average computer user needs to do so very well, and without big issues the majority of the time.

One last thing to keep in mind... the computer will be something you can continue to use after you finish school and move into the workforce. The items you create in school will still be there and will likely be beneficial to the career path you've chosen. As time passes and you save a few bucks I am guessing you'll get a chance to get a good price on an iPad as competition heats up, so it doesn't have to be "either/or" in the big picture. But for right now I'd go with the Macbook Pro (or even the plain jane refurb white Macbook that is being discontinued) and I wouldn't even have to think about it. It's light enough, durable enough, stable, fast enough, and a real workhorse. I've never been left in the lurch with a Macbook. This coming from somebody who HATED the iBook he was given at work and had decided he'd never use an Apple computer again. But when I was issued my Macbook I gave it a chance (Because I was required to) and was rewarded greatly with years of great service.

Check the refurbs, and check the student discounts if the budget is a concern, and make sure you get apple care at the student rate. You'll have a worry free computer that can do all you need and then some.

Thanks for reading my novel! :)

4. MUCKYFINGERS macrumors 6502a

MUCKYFINGERS

5. Egon84 macrumors newbie

There are way to many apps on iOS for college, so with that I say iPad2. I am a disabled vet and can't carry a book bag and walk with my cane so I get my books on my iPad from coursesmart.com. I paid for my iPad in 2 semesters from what I saved buying digital. I have purchased books that were $200+ on there for $130. That adds up quick. You can print the book from the site if you need to as well. iWork is more affordable on iOS but can be a pain to type on the touch keyboard, so get a wireless keyboard. Penultimate is great for notes. Evernote is a must and their new Evernote Peek app is amazing. I use it for math to review formulas. In the past I have had a voice recorder on it and recorded lectures as well.

It has been a cost saver for me as well. No need for notebook, pens, graphing calculators, dictionaries etc., its all right there in your iPad.

For me the iPad was to reduce weight so I could walk further and quicker, but looking back it has been one of the best decisions I made for my education. With what iCloud and iOS5 will bring to sharing documents, eventually you will want a Mac to work on at home but the iPad is a great start.

6. makris0000 thread starter macrumors member

Thank you everyone for your help and mooseBlood for your novel. I have my macbook for long papers and power points but i wanted something lighter and smaller to bring to school everyday because i bring my macbook and it weighs my backpack down alot so i was thinking of the ipad 2 because its lighter and it can do almost the same stuff as a macbook pro (but obviously it isnt the same thing as a mac)

7. MooseBlood macrumors member

Being able to do "almost the same stuff" and being able to do it well enough are two different things. If you think the iPad can do things well enough, then why worry what anybody else thinks and buy the iPad. If you like the Macbook then go that route. If weight is the number 1 concern then I'd get an iPad as well, but I'd realize that there is a very big tradeoff in functionality and capability. To me the iPad is a huge iPhone with similar abilities and a bigger keyboard.

8. S.Jobs macrumors member

Get the MBP. I have both and I could easily live without the iPad. But a computer would be difficult

9. makris0000 thread starter macrumors member

I still have my white macbook that works fine so i would still have my computer for big things like long papers or power point presentations etc i just need it for notes, looking stuff up, class stuff, etc

10. gmans46 macrumors regular

well then the mbas just got upgraded get an 11inch you'll get more screen real estate and similar price the iPad really can't do as much as you think it can and i can say that because i am going to be a college student and i think I'm going to be ridding myself of it before i depart because i don't use it.

11. makris0000 thread starter macrumors member

i already decided to get the ipad 2 because it has what i need and i dont need another mac cause mine works fine for major papers and stuff. Also the ipad is a lot cheaper (not that price matters because i have the money to get both).

12. RedheadsRule macrumors newbie

May I ask,

I hate to be a noob, but which model of Macbook did you love so dearly?
    It's my first foray buying one, and thought your novel was perfect in swinging my vote to finally, finally do so. Which version do you use now that the other passed on to Elysium?

BTW, the fact you're a teacher helped a ton! I'm moving into a Bach of Science degree program and am an adult student, so I really needed the insight you had that covers a student's needs which a grown-up perspective.

Thanks!

13. jcampos, Dec 11, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2011

jcampos macrumors newbie

Macbook Pro 13 vs ipad 2 + imac

Well I was thinking to buy a macbook pro 13 ,but then said me that why not the ipad 2 so I thing if i buy the ipad now and then in december 2012 I buy an imac or I buy the MBP now but no ipad.I make a lot of word documents,Some powerpoints and I play Guitar so will make songs with garageband,and edit a little bit of video editing with Imovie.Some times i make html code.I have an imac g5 and a toshiba netbook
    I need a response of what of does 2 option.
    Can you help me please

14. Epic Xbox Revie macrumors 6502a

Epic Xbox Revie

Macbook Air 11"

or if you only want to decide between 13" MBP and iPad 2... get the MBP.

15. JTravers macrumors 6502a

iPad is a great companion device. I would only recommend it as a main device for someone with very simple needs.

Since you already have a Macbook and it seems to fit your needs, get the iPad so you can have the best of both worlds ;)

16. KylePowers macrumors 68000

KylePowers

I went iMac 27" + MBA 11" for my collegiate needs (erm, okay, my collegiate desires). Tried using an iPad 2 over a laptop for my mobile computing needs, but gave up on it after a few months. MBA 11" blows it out of the water (but there are downsides like battery and price, of course).

17. jmpnop macrumors 6502a

jmpnop

Macbook Pro is definitely the way to go. iPad is mainly a consumption device, it can never replace a laptop. If you aren't doing much intensive tasks, you can look into MBA 11"/13" which are lightweight and portable.