macbook pro 13 inch with apple 128gb SSD have trim problems ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by pipo2k, Aug 6, 2010.

1. pipo2k macrumors newbie

after all the reading i did, a lot of ppl who wrote everyone seems to be buying SSD from other manufacturers, am not a hardware pro so i was thinking of buying a new macbook pro 13 inch 2.4 with a 128gb SSD from apple however
    the question is :

*Does a macbook pro with apple's SSD (128GB) still need Trim support? does it get slow when it's filled up like other 3rd party drives?

*Also is it going to affect the battery / Heat ? in a good or a bad way ?

Thank you.

2. Kahalu'u Bob macrumors 6502a

Kahalu'u Bob

You'll find a lot of discussion about this on the forum. The most recent analysis I read suggested trim is not necessary w/ OS X. Whether that stands the test of time remains to be seen.

I have a 13" MBP w/ Apple SSD and like it very much. I had noticed no reduction in performance, and although it may have been slightly more expensive than installing a hard drive myself, I prefer to have the benefit of AppleCare should I need it.

3. kny3twalker macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

OS/X does not have TRIM support, and therefore, Apple SSD's performance will degrade over time. If you want a SSD that will not need maintenance then you will need to get an SSD with garbage collection such as the OWC, OCZ Vertex, and Corsair which use the Sandforce Controller.