Macbook Pro 13" last model, not the newest one *deal?*

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Bocaj, Apr 26, 2010.

1. Bocaj macrumors member

I have an opportunity to get a relatively new Macbook Pro from Best Buy (it was returned a few days ago) for $1026 (Canadian and U.S. dollars) taxes in.

It would be my first Mac and just wanted to know if this would be a good deal or not?
    Basically I'd be using it for surfing, Photoshop and possibly video editing (nothing too heavy with the videos though).
    Is the processing speed THAT much more drastic in the new one over the older one?

Or am I better off spending a few more hundred and going for the newer model?

Thanks in advance.

2. fuzzylemurs macrumors member

What are the specs of the MacBook Pro at best buy?

3. hypermog macrumors regular

4. fuzzylemurs macrumors member

That is not a bad deal. The 13" line did not have a significant upgrade in the CPU department, but got a decent upgrade in the graphics card department. I think getting that laptop for just over 1k is a good deal.

If you DO purchase this laptop, however, call Apple to make sure your warranty starts on your purchase date, in case the system was registered before you. They will ask you for a copy of your receipt to verify the purchase date.

5. fuzzylemurs macrumors member

hypermog has a point too - And if you order from Amazon, you wont pay sales tax, so it will come out even cheaper in the end.

6. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Microcenter is selling new ones for $999 if you have one near you. $1026 seems a tad high for an open box AND past model. See if they'll throw in AppleCare or their own replacement plan.

7. Bocaj thread starter macrumors member

They want me to buy their extra warranty, which I never do.
    I just buy stuff on my Visa and get the extra warranty from them (but I would definitely look into Apple Care).

Looks like Amazon is the better deal for something brand spankin' new.

How big a difference is the newer model's video card compared to the older one?

8. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

Just get the new one. I was at MicroCenter a week and a half ago to buy a new MacBook for $799. They had new models of the previous 13" MBP for $999 (list is $1,199 same as the new base 13" MBP). I was temped to go with that but then I did the math and it would cost about the same amount to zoop up the old model to 4GB ram and a larger faster hard drive to meet the specs of the new and improved model with better battery. The new model is a much better deal especially at places like B&H Photo ($1,160, free ship and no tax) or Amazon.

As a side note the MacBook I bought for only $799 is better specs than the old MBP because the hard drive is 50% bigger - the rest is the same. But, no backlit keys or firewire. I bought 4Gb of Crucial RAM for $103 and zooped up the MB to 4Gb and will add that 2Gb from the MB to my iMac for 6GB. Can't complain.

9. pricej636 macrumors 6502

Really doesn't seem like much of a discount. A brand new previous year model runs 1099 at Best Buy if you can find a store with one in stock. Plus you have no idea why it was returned, or how it was treated in the days the previous owners had it.

The 2010 model is a much better deal for an extra hundred bucks or so. You get an extra 2GB of RAM, a bigger HD, and a better graphics processor.

10. Bocaj thread starter macrumors member

I was just offered last year's model for a new price, $910 (US/CDN) taxes in.
    Ohh so tempting.

11. WisdomWolf macrumors regular

That is very tempting. I went with the new 2010 model because I wanted the longer battery, double RAM, larger hard drive, better GPU, and most importantly (to me at least) 5.1 audio over mDP. This was also my first mac and I absolutely love it. This is almost the perfect computer for me and I continue to find new features and/or things that impress me.

12. Bocaj thread starter macrumors member

It's incredibly tempting at this price, just not sure because there were some valid points for the newer models. :confused:

13. ThePowerOfTheMac macrumors newbie

ThePowerOfTheMac

The Pro is only about $100 more than a MacBook regular. That's a nice deal.