MacBook Pro 13 late 2011 liquid damage

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ggn1971, Sep 27, 2012.

1. ggn1971, Sep 27, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2012

ggn1971 macrumors newbie

Hello all,
    this is my first post here. Thank you for this wonderfull forum plenty of usefull informations for Apple addicts...
    My problem lies with a late 2011 macbook pro 13 inches which I recently bought "as is, received some kind of liquid" for peanuts. It's been just returned from a local Apple dealer whose diagnostic was: "dead motherboard, dead hard drive and associated cable". The seller didn't want to spend big money on the repair and bought a brand new mac, so now its mine ;-)
    Once opened, it looks like it is the hard drive which received most of the liquid. Some connections are corroded and burnt, the cable is burnt and there is a small component on the motherboard which also fried. The board itself is clean and received no liquid, the drive failure led to dramatic consequences on the board.
    After some isopropyl alcohol cleaning, the mac runs fine with an external drive enclosure (I am writing this post on the Mac). Everything is ok, from keyboard to card reader. But of course I didn't try with an internal drive as I don't have spare cable for the moment (its on the way), and I have to fix the broken component on the logicboard.
    I have attached some pics of the broken component (two sides of the board, the other side is the SATA connector) and some pics of the hard drive and cable.
    My question is: what is this burnt component (first pic, right side of the board) and where can I source it? Is it a fuse?
    Is there a full macbook schematic available somewhere on the net?
    Thanks for your help!
    PS: excuse my english...

Attached Files:

2. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

You can check iFixit guides for a complete teardown. Not sure what which pic you are trying to identify, you listed all of them already.

3. ggn1971 thread starter macrumors newbie

My explaination must be very unclear...
    I already dismantled the mac, the board pics are here to show a burnt component on the right side. It is easy to find.
    Here is the same pic with the faulty component red circled.

Attached Files:

4. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

Oh, I see. Not sure what that is though, sorry.

5. ggn1971 thread starter macrumors newbie

6. ggn1971 thread starter macrumors newbie

hello again,
    Today I had the opportunity to pick up a drive cable so that I could test a known good drive on the board's sata connector, and the drive didn't even spin.
    The superdrive works perfect on its own sata connector.
    Should this confirm that the burnt component is some kind of fuse protecting the hard drive sata connector voltage supply?
    How could I check this statement?

7. ggn1971 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hello,
    I managed to get a board schematic as well as a board layout.
    I found the faulty component to be "L4500, FERR-70-OHM-4AMP"
    I tried to find one on Farnell, without success.
    Could someone help me source the correct replacement part?
    Thanks.

8. ggn1971 thread starter macrumors newbie

9. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

That's impressive that you found the part. I hope it works out, will be interested to know if you've fixed it.

10. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

That looks like the right part, as long as it is the correct size.

One check to see if the part on the logic board is actually at fault(yes I know it's burned). Measure the resistance across it with a multimeter. It should be a couple ohms or less.

Keep in mind that this may not be the only bad part on the board.

Good luck!

11. ggn1971 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes I know there may be some other damaged parts on the board, but this one is definitely bad ;)
    According to the data sheet, it is 1.6 mm long. It looks like the original size.
    I measured the resistance accross it and it gave infinite reading. I found it to be normal as it was burnt and actually acted like a fuse.
    By reading the schematic, this resistor is in the sata 5V path but I'll be lucky if it ended to be the only damaged part...
    I'll keep you posted, thanks for the replies :D

12. seveej macrumors 6502a

seveej

Ho *****!

I've done my share of repairing broken mac's, but never have I even considered starting soldering on the logic board. Never.
    Thenagain, you seem to know something about what you're doing, so I'll wish you the best of luck.

Pekka

P.S. Welcome to the forum.

13. ggn1971 thread starter macrumors newbie

14. ggn1971 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hello,
    I'm back with fresh and good news :)
    I received the components from Farnell this morning.
    The first pic shows the board with the faulty resistor removed and the pads cleaned with flux and alcohol.
    The second one shows the new resistors from farnell and the last one shows the new resistor soldered to the board. My tools are good binocular magnifiers and a small soldering iron, with flux to help soldering and alcohol to clean everything.
    Once everything back in place with a good drive pluged in, I'm a bit stressed to push the power switch...
    But voilà, it works like a charm :D
    Another macbook saved and fully back to life!

Attached Files:

15. dallasmacbook macrumors newbie

Ok this thread has me hopeful that things can be fixed. I have a MBP that I had owned about 6 months when I dumped a cup of coffee on it. I got it home, took is partially apart and tried to dry everything out but it would not come on and if I hooked up the charger the light in the cord would not come on. Went and bought another one and stuck the old one on a shelf but it's been bugging me that it might be fixable. I rebuilt the engine in my old 911 but I can LOOK at things and tell if they are broken...that does not work on electronics...at least not for me. I have it mostly apart again and I don't see anything that looks burnt...is there some way to have the components tested? Is that a dumb question? If so just tell me and I'll use thing thing for a paperweight. By tested I mean by someone capable...not by me...I'd probably just break it.

16. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

Do you have an apple store near by? Have them look at it?

17. dallasmacbook macrumors newbie

Thanks, I did send it out to a repair shop but they basically just told me "it won't turn on" I did not need to spend $75 and three weeks for that info. I did not know a Mac store would test components. I'll drop by there today and ask, thanks for the suggestion.

18. dallasmacbook macrumors newbie

Interesting update...I took the whole thing apart and found a tiny amount of dried mocha on on edge of the logic board. Decided to try and clean it up with some alcohol and put it all back together since I had nothing to lose. Surprisingly the battery charge light CAME ON and after about 3 hours changed to green indicating the battery was charged. This has NEVER happened since I dumped mocha on it about a year ago and cleaned it up. The downside...it won't actually turn on. I've tried all sorts of button combinations but not really sure if there's anything I can still try...any suggestions?
    TIA

19. musicloverdenon macrumors newbie

I know it's quite old post. But was wondering if you still have the schematics. I am struggling with a water damaged MBP and looking for this to test few components.