Macbook pro 13 (late 2011) with spilled water

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MightyMars, Oct 22, 2012.

  1. MightyMars macrumors newbie

    MightyMars

    Joined:
    May 30, 2006
    Location:
    Greece
    #1
    Hello everybody!

    yesterday my coworker spiller a glass of water in my mb pro...
    i immediately turned off the mb pro ..
    when i got back home i took apart the logic board and every other part except keyboard..
    i cleaned everything with pure alcohol 96% and then put everything back...
    it wouldn't even start..

    then i took the logic board apart again and with my heat gun i reflow the gpu.

    When i tried to start it up everything worked fine except...
    when i have my battery connected the mb is slower than death..
    when i disconnect the battery its slow to boot up to osx but when it boot its almost perfect..

    Also .. to turn on the mb i have to keep pressing the power button until the white led on the right corner start flashing... if i just press it once wont turn on..
    so my conclusion is that a fuse or something at the smc is bricked or something wrong with the voltage...

    i put my logic board to another mb like mine and it does the same.
    i tried different battery,magsafe,resseting smc, pram etc and still the same..

    any ideas??/


    Thanks
    Aris
     
  2. beast88 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jun 30, 2012
  3. MightyMars thread starter macrumors newbie

    MightyMars

    Joined:
    May 30, 2006
    Location:
    Greece
    #3
    wow!! never thought about that! u r a genius! :eek:
     
  4. MightyMars thread starter macrumors newbie

    MightyMars

    Joined:
    May 30, 2006
    Location:
    Greece
    #4
    Update

    i just tried to turn it on with bypassing the smc ..
    it works ok as far as i think even with battery connected..
    but fans a driving crazy!
    also i used my multimeter when mb was connected with battery and i got the numbers in the image shown above..

    i think some fuse is bad ..

    *where it says 22+ it just going up and up the multimeter..
    * where it says - its just coz if i change the polarity i get 1.
    i'm not an electronic engineer :)

    please help!
     

    Attached Files:

  5. soulniz macrumors member

    Joined:
    Apr 15, 2012
    #5
    Just get your co-worker to pay for a repair or a new Mac.
     
  6. MightyMars, Oct 22, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2012

    MightyMars thread starter macrumors newbie

    MightyMars

    Joined:
    May 30, 2006
    Location:
    Greece
    #6
    Thats not possible... and please if u cannot help don't waste your time mine as well..:)

    also i did the efi test and i'm getting this error at :sensors/sensor reads withing operating range (current)

    ERROR - SENSOR IS READING ABOVE THE HIGH LIMIT
    -TEST FAILED-
     
  7. skitzogreg macrumors 6502

    skitzogreg

    Joined:
    Oct 31, 2007
    Location:
    Arkansas
    #7
    You're likely going to need a new logic board, but let everything dry out for a few more days (and watch out for the battery), reconnect, and see what it does.
     
  8. soulniz macrumors member

    Joined:
    Apr 15, 2012
    #8
    Please explain to me how that's not possible? It's common knowledge that if you damage something that's not yours, your have it repaired or buy a new one. Ergo, your co-worker should do that.
     
  9. MightyMars thread starter macrumors newbie

    MightyMars

    Joined:
    May 30, 2006
    Location:
    Greece
    #9
    also i did the efi test and i'm getting this error at :sensors/sensor reads withing operating range (current)

    ERROR - SENSOR IS READING ABOVE THE HIGH LIMIT
    -TEST FAILED-[/QUOTE]
     

    Attached Files:

  10. skitzogreg macrumors 6502

    skitzogreg

    Joined:
    Oct 31, 2007
    Location:
    Arkansas
    #10
    [/QUOTE]

    My guess is that water shorted out a connection or line to the battery. You can try changing out the battery, but you're probably going to need a new logic board.
     
  11. MightyMars thread starter macrumors newbie

    MightyMars

    Joined:
    May 30, 2006
    Location:
    Greece
    #11
    My guess is that water shorted out a connection or line to the battery. You can try changing out the battery, but you're probably going to need a new logic board.[/QUOTE]

    i tried already a different battery skitzogreg..
    i'm sure its something wrong with the logic board just trying to find whats is wrong and fix it.. it might be a fuse or any other part that can be replaced..

    in case of replacing logic board i would buy a new one and just keep this for parts... doesnt worth 850usd just for a logic board ::)

    also i forgot to say that battery is charging and acting normally..
     
  12. Jameson.Kusch macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jun 15, 2012
    #12
    I would also like to know why it isn't possible for your co-worker to offer soem sort of payment to help fix it. Unless...there was no co-worker and you did it yourself...but hey I'm not saying anything you already don't know.
     
  13. wethackrey macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Feb 27, 2007
    Location:
    Redondo Beach, California
    #13
    Well this advice may be too little too late but... It sounds like you rushed things powering it back up. The FIST thing to do in a case like this is to power down and remove all power including battery power. Then dry the thing out thoroughly before testing it. I realize you're in a hurry to see if it's going to work, but if you rush it, it is sure to fail.

    I've saved my clutsy-but-cute-as-hell girlfriend's flooded MacBook and Blackberry this way. She's actually dropped the Blackberry in the toilet three times. Don't ask. Saved it all three times. Now that she has an iPhone she's going to have to be more careful.

    The method I've used is to pull all power and pack the device with desiccant. White rice will work. You can accelerate things a bit if you put the device in an oven at 150F. Get ALL of the moisture out. By the way 150F does NOT mean 250F. 150 works. 250 melts stuff. Time in oven: 2-3 hours. Be careful of gas ovens. There can be hot spots. Use a big casserole dish, fill it with rice or commercial desiccant, make sure the rice is between the device and the dish and then go watch a movie.

    If you power it up to soon, you will likely toast it. Which you may have done. If you just try to dry the board with a hair drier you like likely leave moisture places it should not be. If you use a heat gun you may get components far too hot. A typical commercial heat gun has two temperature settings: 700F and 1100F. Both are WAY to hot for this. It only takes pointing a 700 degree gun at a heat sensitive component for a second or two and it's all over.

    All of the above is really written for other readers, as it sounds like your board is now toast. Literally. AppleCare is your friend.
     
  14. kittiyut macrumors regular

    kittiyut

    Joined:
    Oct 28, 2007
    #14
    Wow!!! Great advice!!! Next time I drop my phone in the pool (or toilet), I'll know what to do (and what NOT to do - eg. power on too soon)
     
  15. MightyMars thread starter macrumors newbie

    MightyMars

    Joined:
    May 30, 2006
    Location:
    Greece
    #15
    Hi wethackrey
    thanks for your advise :) next time i will remember it

    i would like to mention that i didnt use a heat gun but a hot air gun for soldering just for the gpu to reflow it..
    then i did let it dry for a whole day and then did what i wrote before...

    i dont believe is toasted coz when i bypass the smc mb its works just great except the fan and the sensors.
     
  16. windowstomac macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 23, 2011
    #16
    Do you have any home contents insurance? Perhaps you could claim on that? I got a brand new white MacBook when I spilled wine over mine.
     
  17. 0x000000 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Aug 26, 2011
    #17
    That only works if you don't fiddle with your system like that. Insurance companies want to see the device, send it away to assess whether that damage could've happened the way you described it and how much money has to be paid.

    That road was closed when he opened the device and drowned it in alcohol. No one can tell where the damages come from anymore.
     

Share This Page