****. Macbook pro 13" lid dented

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cRz, Jan 16, 2012.

1. cRz macrumors newbie

So I had my laptop in hand, and I dropped it. I got lucky, I was right in front of the counter and had saved it from hitting the floor, by using my leg to hold it with the counter. Nothing looked harmed, until I put it under the light. The lid has a slight dent on the top left, and it also has a white-colored scuff/streak right next to the dent. It hadn't been that noticeable, but at a certain angle, the scuff just blares out and it's super ugly.

I got this as a Christmas present and it took so much persuading for me to get it, and now I screwed it up kind of.

Any idea what I should do?

2. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

Nothing? - Get a speck case?

3. cRz thread starter macrumors newbie

..is there a way to fix it.

4. ghostworld macrumors member

ghostworld

I think you're just lucky you didn't really damage it. You could've dropped it and actually broken it. As much as I know how it sucks to have a dent in your nice macbook, I don't think there is much you can do.
    I agree with the other poster. Just get a speck case and be more careful when handling it.

5. cRz thread starter macrumors newbie

Can you tell me more things to cheer me up about it :)

6. ghostworld macrumors member

ghostworld

LOL I'm sorry, I know how upsetting it can be. But just think, you can have a nice pretty case that will look awesome!;)

7. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

Someone else's hard earned money was spent on it, since it was a present. Therefor, it didn't cost you a dime!! (I never have gotten such an expensive present in my life, and have had to pay for everything I own, to include cars,, house, etc), so consider your self lucky in that respect that someone cares and trusts you enough to spend that much on you! :):p:D

8. cRz thread starter macrumors newbie

9. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

I personally like the Black Speck Case - the Apple Logo shines through the case - its awesome IMHO

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The cost of repairing it, is high, so the only option is to except the fact its damaged.

11. Hellishness macrumors 65816

Hellishness

Seriously...I pay for all my stuff and I've never once dropped a laptop. I've dropped my iPhone 4 maybe 4-5 times (combined, i've had like 8 warranty replacements) since July 15, 2010, never bad enough for any serious scratches or a cracked screen.

12. bdodds1985 macrumors 6502a

bdodds1985

cry me a river. some people have more money than us. its life. and your posts are not helping.

OP, Just get a case and call it good. as long as everything works I'd say your fine. I know it sucks though, because I keep thinking what will my OCD do when/if I drop mine.

13. jeremyshaw macrumors 6502

They sure as hell aren't crying :p

14. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

If you try to pull the dent out, it's possible you might just damage it further given the display housed within that part of the computer. They don't really mold things in construction. They're basically carved to that shape.

15. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

People have tried and failed to repair dents in the MBP. The metal is so thin, and the precision is so tight, there's no way someone can pull it out. They may make the dent less obvious, or they can make matters worse.

16. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

Lose the attitude, as your post is not helping either. This wasn't complaining just stating a fact with some tongue in cheek humor as the OP asked for people to offer more things to cheer him up (Guess you missed the smilies, even though you quoted them). Face the fact that people don't feel as attached to something when they don't work for it. Just look at all of the posts about I paid x amount and now I have a scratch, dent, slowdown, etc. It is human nature to feel more attached when blood, sweat, and tears (so to speak) went into obtaining it.

I know lots of people make more, and less, money than I do and am proud of the fact that I have earned everything myself and feel grateful for what I have with my family being at the top of that list.

17. saberahul macrumors 68040

Just like every other thread... this one is also moving into arguments.

OP: accept the fact and get a case. I use the hard-shell case by incase and am very happy with it.

18. TechStooge macrumors member

u can buy a new top cover for a few hundred dollars

your fault for being clumsy and not investing in protection like a sleeve or hardshell case

19. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

That's what I was trying to say. The lids are machine cut. They're not really molded that way but rather carved out, and trying to pull out a dent could damage the internal components (possibly the surrounding lid too, but I'd be more concerned about the display).

20. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

Either :
    1) Cope with it
    2) Pay for a new lid. This comes as a single unit with the screen included.