****. Macbook pro 13" lid dented

cRz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 22, 2011
So I had my laptop in hand, and I dropped it. I got lucky, I was right in front of the counter and had saved it from hitting the floor, by using my leg to hold it with the counter. Nothing looked harmed, until I put it under the light. The lid has a slight dent on the top left, and it also has a white-colored scuff/streak right next to the dent. It hadn't been that noticeable, but at a certain angle, the scuff just blares out and it's super ugly.

I got this as a Christmas present and it took so much persuading for me to get it, and now I screwed it up kind of.

Any idea what I should do?

Spink10

Suspended
Nov 3, 2011
Oklahoma
So I had my laptop in hand, and I dropped it. I got lucky, I was right in front of the counter and had saved it from hitting the floor, by using my leg to hold it with the counter. Nothing looked harmed, until I put it under the light. The lid has a slight dent on the top left, and it also has a white-colored scuff/streak right next to the dent. It hadn't been that noticeable, but at a certain angle, the scuff just blares out and it's super ugly.

I got this as a Christmas present and it took so much persuading for me to get it, and now I screwed it up kind of.

Any idea what I should do?
Nothing? - Get a speck case?

ghostworld

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2012
I think you're just lucky you didn't really damage it. You could've dropped it and actually broken it. As much as I know how it sucks to have a dent in your nice macbook, I don't think there is much you can do.
I agree with the other poster. Just get a speck case and be more careful when handling it.

cRz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 22, 2011
I think you're just lucky you didn't really damage it. You could've dropped it and actually broken it. As much as I know how it sucks to have a dent in your nice macbook, I don't think there is much you can do.
I agree with the other poster. Just get a speck case and be more careful when handling it.
Can you tell me more things to cheer me up about it :)

squeakr

macrumors 68000
Apr 22, 2010
Someone else's hard earned money was spent on it, since it was a present. Therefor, it didn't cost you a dime!! (I never have gotten such an expensive present in my life, and have had to pay for everything I own, to include cars,, house, etc), so consider your self lucky in that respect that someone cares and trusts you enough to spend that much on you! :):p:D

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
The cost of repairing it, is high, so the only option is to except the fact its damaged.

Hellishness

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2010
Bay Area, CA
Someone else's hard earned money was spent on it, since it was a present. Therefor, it didn't cost you a dime!! (I never have gotten such an expensive present in my life, and have had to pay for everything I own, to include cars,, house, etc), so consider your self lucky in that respect that someone cares and trusts you enough to spend that much on you! :):p:D
Seriously...I pay for all my stuff and I've never once dropped a laptop. I've dropped my iPhone 4 maybe 4-5 times (combined, i've had like 8 warranty replacements) since July 15, 2010, never bad enough for any serious scratches or a cracked screen.

bdodds1985

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2011
Tartarus
Seriously...I pay for all my stuff and I've never once dropped a laptop. I've dropped my iPhone 4 maybe 4-5 times (combined, i've had like 8 warranty replacements) since July 15, 2010, never bad enough for any serious scratches or a cracked screen.
cry me a river. some people have more money than us. its life. and your posts are not helping.

OP, Just get a case and call it good. as long as everything works I'd say your fine. I know it sucks though, because I keep thinking what will my OCD do when/if I drop mine.

jeremyshaw

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2011
cry me a river. some people have more money than us. its life. and your posts are not helping.

OP, Just get a case and call it good. as long as everything works I'd say your fine. I know it sucks though, because I keep thinking what will my OCD do when/if I drop mine.
They sure as hell aren't crying :p

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
..is there a way to fix it.
If you try to pull the dent out, it's possible you might just damage it further given the display housed within that part of the computer. They don't really mold things in construction. They're basically carved to that shape.

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
If you try to pull the dent out, it's possible you might just damage it further given the display housed within that part of the computer. They don't really mold things in construction. They're basically carved to that shape.
People have tried and failed to repair dents in the MBP. The metal is so thin, and the precision is so tight, there's no way someone can pull it out. They may make the dent less obvious, or they can make matters worse.

squeakr

macrumors 68000
Apr 22, 2010
Lose the attitude, as your post is not helping either. This wasn't complaining just stating a fact with some tongue in cheek humor as the OP asked for people to offer more things to cheer him up (Guess you missed the smilies, even though you quoted them). Face the fact that people don't feel as attached to something when they don't work for it. Just look at all of the posts about I paid x amount and now I have a scratch, dent, slowdown, etc. It is human nature to feel more attached when blood, sweat, and tears (so to speak) went into obtaining it.

I know lots of people make more, and less, money than I do and am proud of the fact that I have earned everything myself and feel grateful for what I have with my family being at the top of that list.

saberahul

macrumors 68040
Nov 6, 2008
USA
Just like every other thread... this one is also moving into arguments.

OP: accept the fact and get a case. I use the hard-shell case by incase and am very happy with it.

TechStooge

macrumors member
Jan 16, 2012
u can buy a new top cover for a few hundred dollars

your fault for being clumsy and not investing in protection like a sleeve or hardshell case

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
People have tried and failed to repair dents in the MBP. The metal is so thin, and the precision is so tight, there's no way someone can pull it out. They may make the dent less obvious, or they can make matters worse.
That's what I was trying to say. The lids are machine cut. They're not really molded that way but rather carved out, and trying to pull out a dent could damage the internal components (possibly the surrounding lid too, but I'd be more concerned about the display).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.