MacBook Pro 13" Locking up

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ouimetnick, May 30, 2010.

1. ouimetnick macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

So I have a copy of the Sims 3. I want to install it on her Mac. She has the base model of the 2010 MacBook Pro 13" it has 4GB ram, 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo and the 320M integrated graphics. While installing I use safari, and every thine I do this the computer beach balls, and the entire machene locks up. I can't force quit anything. The beach ball exists every on the entire screen. So I hold down the power button and start over. Same thing. Temps are around 170F and the fans at 2000 RPM.

What do you think is causing the issue?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdunxZWQGYA

2. ouimetnick thread starter macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

I can't believe a $1200 computer can't play a game. I should have had my mom pay $1200 for a computer with capable hardware and not some email machiene.

Just so pissed that I can't play ny $50 game on a $1200 computer. I was looking forward to it.

3. EstrlM3 macrumors 6502

lol calm down... your posts make no sense what so ever.

if the issue is as big as you say simply take the computer to the apple store and they will help you out.

based on the above posts we no one can offer you any information.

when you start the machine from scratch what are you doing in what order?

regardless of answer to the above there is somehting wrong and you need to go see an apple rep.

your issues are not widespread.

4. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

Hm. I'm not familiar with the game, but the hardware requirements are published at http://www.thesims3.com/game/systemreq:

MAC OS X Supported Video Cards
    NVIDIA GeForce series

7300, 7600
    8600, 8800
    9400M, 9600M GT
    GT 120, GT 130

ATI Radeon™ series

X1600, X1900
    2400, 2600
    4850, 4870

# ATI X1600 or Nvidia 7300 GT with 128 MB of Video RAM, or Intel Integrated GMA X3100.

# This game will not run on PowerPC (G3/G4/G5) based Mac systems, or the GMA 950 class of integrated video cards.

---

Your Macbook Pro has a NVIDIA GeForce 320M GPU. I'm not seeing it on the Sims 3 hardware-requirements list above. Which, frankly, looks a little out-of-date.

Worse than that: Among my pet peeves is software that requires specific hardware to run but fails to check that it's there before going into an install process and screwing everything up. The worst example I've personally experienced was a scientific imaging package, costing well into five figures, that required four DVDs (!) to install in Windows and about a dozen reboots just to put a smile on the process. It took freakin' hours to install the damn thing. Finally, it was all done, and so I double-clicked it to run it... and sorry, "Your graphics processor is not supported." [shriek!]

So, sympathies. Seems like you'll need to pound on the Sims folks to update their software.

5. ouimetnick thread starter macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

Now the entire computer locks up. I edited m post with a link to the video.

6. EstrlM3 macrumors 6502

please post more videos thats hilarious....

for starters take some time to cool off, i hope you dont have anything in the house that you can hurt yourself with...

then take your shi**y mpb off the carpet so it can vent properly.

then take a video from a cold boot and show how your getting the computer to lock up.

lastly take your computer in to an apple store.

7. nexx892 macrumors newbie

The 320M is better than my 9800M because its newer.

Like how the 6800M (2004 nvidia card) is much worse than the GTX480 (Fermi).

8. MortalDays macrumors regular

If you trying to play a game on ANY notebook(not just a mac), you should put it on top of a table since the notebook would require a solid surface to ventilate a LOT more efficiently. The thing about electronics is that the device is prone to overheat and freeze if it gets too hot and not able to ventilate.

Besides, I read somewhere in the forum that stated Apple categorized the MBP as a "notebook" not a laptop since the bottom of MBP gets really hot after extensive use... Mmmm, just like you trying to play a graphic intensive game...

According to cnet video review (link below), the 13" MBP is capable of playing mainstream games (they have Call of Duty 4 showcase during the video review)... In comparison, Sims 3 should be less resource intensive than Call of Duty 4 since COD4 is famous for its great graphics detail.

http://reviews.cnet.com/laptops/apple-macbook-pro-spring/4505-3121_7-34058848.html?tag=mncol

After watching your video, it seems that something might be wrong with your MBP; it would be a way BETTER solution for you to go to a Apple store to let them take a look at it rather than whine about it on this forum or youtube.

P.S. Good luck in fixing your MBP.

9. ouimetnick thread starter macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

the temps are only 170F so not to bad. I always boot of a USB hard drive for my user account. I booted off the internal one, had my mom enter her pw. I installed it, and went for a bike ride. It installed fine. I'm playing it right now. Everything seems to be working fine. Maybe my hard drive (USB) one was corrupted?

10. MortalDays macrumors regular

Try completely cool off your MBP. Probably it got too overheated even before you try to play the game... If you can play the game now, why stress it? just enjoy your Sims 3...

11. EstrlM3 macrumors 6502

i would assume booting off the external drive puts you at a disadvantage to begin with disregarding the fact taht its a mbp or a pc.

i saw your video and i can see you were def being irrational and just frusturated which happens to everyone sometimes.

try to be more careful from here on out and do not keep your laptop on the floor while your using it, heat can cause your computer to slow down a lot.

the 13" mbp should play the sims 3 just fine.

12. eng42ine macrumors 68000

eng42ine

I lol'ed @ the youtube video... 14 y/o temper tantrum ftw

careful with that $1200 POS tho, Applecare doesnt cover your trackpad when you put your fingers through it when you hammer on it like that...

13. MortalDays macrumors regular

I felt my heart beat faster at the second I saw in his video when he smacked the heck out of the track pad of his mom Macbook Pro... I know I would not EVER treat my MBP like that when I get mine on Friday... :eek: Its only a game bro, its only a game. :rolleyes:

14. trondah macrumors 6502

I don't know why people are posting about the machine being on the carpet, don't worry that should not cause the problems you are experiencing.

Here's what you do:

1. Reinstall from the DVD that came with your Mac
    2. Try and reproduce the problem
    3. If you can reproduce, give it to a repair shop because you have a hardware issue.

Just so you know, this is not standard behaviour. These things actually do work believe it or not...

15. vant macrumors 65816

Why would you boot off of an external HD?

And please, don't post braces infused 13 year old bitchfests on youtube. Its just tacky.

16. ouimetnick thread starter macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

I don't know why people were saying it overheated. It's gotten over 190F under heavy loads, and ran fine. It was only 170F when on the carpet.

About the trackpad and computer. Yes I was very pissed off and upset, and it being hot in my room didn't elp me either. A computer shouldn't break from that though. A guy at my moms work dropped his Latitude D620, same model latitude that I have down a set of stairs. He dropped a bolt on his MBP, but he had a non unibody one so it wasn't glass.

As of now, the Sims 3 is running beautifuly on tHe MBP.

17. EstrlM3 macrumors 6502

put the video back up! my cousin didn't get to see it before you took it down. :(