MacBook Pro 13" mid-2010 Canadian replacement keyboard ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by spiderben25, Sep 2, 2012.

1. spiderben25 macrumors newbie

Hello,
    I'm French and I have a 13" mid-2010 MacBook Pro, with a french AZERTY keyboard.
    I don't like this layout because some characters like . or []{} need to combine two or three keys to produce them.
    I don't like the standard US QWERTY layout either because é, è, à are a pain to produce.
    So I searched on the Internet, and the French Canadian CSA QWERTY layout seems to give the best of both worlds.
    So I would like to replace my keys by this one, I just want to replace the black keys, not the whole keyboard (I think it's easy to do it by popping them out, right ?), but I don't know where to get one.
    I've seen this on ebay : http://cgi.ebay.fr/NEW-OEM-Original..._Trackballs&hash=item4d02da7bfe#ht_1370wt_982
    It seems to be genuine, but the "2008" annoys me. Is it exactly the same keys as the 2010 keyboard ? Will the backlight pass through like my original keys ?
    I hope someone here will be able to answer that to me.
    Thank you :)

2. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

That's so specific. I'd call Apple customer line. Ask them how to get one. The electronics need to be swapped as well and I know Apple has been using all kinds of various versions of keyboards from 2008-2012. It used to be easy with the aluminum keyboards and powerbook boards as you could just lift them out and and plug the new board in. You're going to have to remove every part in the computer to get at the keyboard/ top case as they are virtually 1 now. Then there is the 50 screws to remove. Usually Apple replaces the entire top case. Replacing keys only is like solving a Rubics cube by removing the color stickers. And there is a good chance you'll break one.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJ9XnsdbGHY&feature=related

3. spiderben25 thread starter macrumors newbie

But why would I bother replacing the all case, while I would just have to remove every individual keys and place the new ones instead ? It's an easier solution, right ?
    And it seems possible according to this thread : http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=667097

4. derbothaus, Sep 2, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2012

derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

So you want to replace the physical key corresponding to the french canadian keyboard layout and then switch the international layout to french canada? That may work fine. Those keys are fairly fragile. Get your method down:) Hinges may differ between 2008 and 2010. It looks like the return key definitely wont fit. The pic looks totally custom and WOULD require a new top case if you wanted the off sized keys.

5. spiderben25 thread starter macrumors newbie

EDIT : oups, seems like you edited your message when I was answering it :)
    Yes, you totally got my point now, thanks !

6. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

Yeah . I thought I should look at the ebay link before spouting off;)
    I'd still check with Apple to see how much to customize. Or maybe a 3rd party certified reseller. Chances are they will just want to sell you a new Mac though. Hey, project!

7. spiderben25 thread starter macrumors newbie

Fortunately for me, the size of the keys is different between the canadian keyboard and the US keyboard, but it's the same between the canadian and the french keyboard. So I won't have any fitting issues, right ?
    What I'm worried about is the mechanism that is used to stick the keys to the keyboard bottom, is it possible for it to be different than mine ? I don't know if I'm explaining this the right way

8. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

You're explaining just fine. I don't have an answer as so many small things can change on the keyboards each year and then added to it the international nature and changed positioning of the keys. Unless someone here has direct info on the exact years and language of same keyboards I don't think we can say anything for certain. You're going to have to take a slightly expensive chance. Or deal with it the way it is and get a FCanada board next Mac.

9. spiderben25 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for your answer, it's indeed difficult to get access to this kind of information given the very specific nature of my request.
    I'll try to call Apple customer line, maybe they'll have an answer, and if I'm lucky, maybe I will be able to buy it directly from them.

10. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

Good luck. But wait a bit before making a decision. Give some time to other French Canadians who may be able to help answer your questions. Maybe a few days. Bump the thread to keep it from getting buried. If no response, well, you're on your own.

11. spiderben25 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you, I'll follow your advice and keep watching this thread, maybe I'll get lucky.
    Anyway, you've been of great help to me. Have a good night (or evening if you're in the USA) :)