Macbook Pro 13" (Mid 2010) with 30" LCD - Not enough RAM

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by narofx, Sep 22, 2010.

1. narofx macrumors newbie

hi all,

I'm using the 13" MacBook Pro (mid 2010 model) with the 2.4GHz model and 4GB of RAM, which is connected to a 30" Dell 3007-WFP LCD monitor.

Whenever I am editing my photos via Lightroom, the performance of the MBP slows down drastically. Therefore, I went to check the Activity Monitor and realised that i had only 70MB of free RAM. If I quit Lightroom, I will have up to 1.7GB of free RAM.

The question I would like to ask is that whether this is because I am using a 30" LCD with a screen resolution of 2560x1600, hence using a up a lot of RAM?

I would greatly appreciate if anyone with a similar setup as I have can enlighten me on how to boost my MBP's performance.

Thank you!

2. sidesh0w macrumors newbie

try and see - how much ram does it use with no external monitor?

3. WardC macrumors 68030

WardC

Remember that on the 13" the video RAM is shared with the main memory, or rather the main memory is shared as part is used as video RAM. When you are running a 30" @ 2560x1600, you are maxing out the video RAM on the system, and eating into your main memory. For Lightroom, this is a RAM hog itself, so you would benefit from upgrading to 8GB of RAM...it's cheap too, about $160 for the upgrade.

4. narofx thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys!!

I'm trying it without the external 30" LCD, the performance is a lot better and i have at least 1GB of free RAM available.

This seems like i would have to forgot a 30" LCD monitor or upgrade to 8GB of RAM. Damn, never thought of this when i bought my 13" MBP a couple of months ago.. :(

5. narofx thread starter macrumors newbie

2 pieces of 4GB RAM is only $160??

6. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

7. vant macrumors 65816

The resolution does not effect your ram.

Try using the same application and editing photos on your 13" display. It should use the same amount of RAM.

Video memory is stuck at 256mb.

8. aeboi macrumors 65816

aeboi

it's not the resolution or screen problem

I was just using Lightroom 3.2 and did some light editing, had like 250mb of free ram at the moment I checked.
    I imagine it would be more mem usage if I had done more intense editing in LR.

Just pick up 8GB of ram, rendering programs are mem hogs.

I'm just waiting for a little price droppage before upgrading.

9. narofx thread starter macrumors newbie

You are right!!! the amount of free RAM went down to about 200+MB, but the rendering of the changes i made is almost instantaneous, as compared to when I was using the 30" LCD monitor.

With the 30" LCD monitor, i'll need to wait for about 3-5seconds before i can see the changes that i made.

So i'm now quite dumbfounded. What should i do to ensure that the rendering is almost instantaneous when i'm using the 30" LCD monitor??

10. edwardcasbon macrumors newbie

Hi Narofx, I've just googled and come across this thread.

How are you connecting the MBP to the Dell 30" monitor? I'm looking at getting the Dell 30" and have noticed that it requires a Dual DVI connection.

Many thanks,

Edward

11. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

It's extremely likely you won't have the same connectors since this thread is three years old. What model of MBP do you have?

12. edwardcasbon macrumors newbie

I too have the mid 2010 13" MacBook Pro (http://support.apple.com/kb/SP583). I'm also looking at the Dell 30" 3007WFP as they're good displays.

I am wondering if the OP has purchased the official Apple mini-displayport to Dual Link DVI adapter (~£70) or whether he has used a different Dual Link DVI adapter.

Kind regards,

Edward

13. Avatarshark macrumors regular

I had this problem 5-6 months ago with the current MBP, I took it into the Apple store to get it fix. The Genius guy ran a permission check and fix any permission problems there was and hadn't have problems since.

I think it is because the applications aren't clearing the data and still getting clogged in the memory because of the permission states.

14. robvas macrumors 68020

15. scarboni21 macrumors regular