MacBook Pro 13" (Mid 2012) vs MacBook Pro 15 ( Mid 2011)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Johnrho, Nov 27, 2014.

1. Johnrho macrumors newbie

Hello people,

I have a mBP 13" (Mid 2012) and have bought a refurbished mBP 15 (Mid 2011).

My question is simple ,I hope, which is the better machine. Is there a program I could run to test them?

I intend to give one machine to my son.

Thank you.

2. Cassady macrumors 6502a

Cassady

Not wanting to be *that* person - but maybe do a bit of a search for problems being experienced with the graphics card failures in the 2011 15" models... Might assist in your decision. As for what is the better machine - that would probably be influenced by what you hope to do with both? What will they be used for, primarily?

3. Johnrho thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply

I forgot to add that I am new to Mac, the 15" was bought on a whim , I was unaware of the graphics card issue or else I would never have bought it.

Is there a way of testing the graphics card before the 14day return period expires.

I just wanted to keep the "general" best machine. I have no specific use of either machine if I am honest..

4. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

No test

Unfortunately that graphics card can just fail it may be tomorrow it may be in 2 years time if it is refurbished it has probably happened already, if it is apple refurbished it will with the same logic board and anecdotal evidence gives it 3-4 months before it happens again. If it has been reballed with leaded solder then you could be fine but without knowing what has been done i'd take it straight back.

If you just want a mac to find out about the operating system and have a play around the 13 is perfect, I would reccomend an ssd upgrade a 256gb Samsung EVO or Crucial MX100 is dead cheap at the moment and will give you plenty of speed to get the most out of OSX.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

No, you will start to experience graphic anomalies intermittently after a period of use. I'd say its more of a case of when it it will fail and not if. If you have the opportunity to return the laptop for your money back. I'd do it.

6. Johnrho thread starter macrumors newbie

I might just have to, i cannot get a picture out of the firewireport, there is sound but no picture.

Is this sign of a problem??

7. Zerka macrumors member

Well as far as performance goes there's plenty of benchmarks you can run. i.e. NovaBench, CineBench, CompuBench