MacBook Pro 13" MUCH more quiet than UMB

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MacAgent84, Jul 2, 2009.

1. MacAgent84 macrumors member

I have not heard anyone mention in reviews exactly how quiet the new MacBook Pro is over the original UMB.

Has anyone noticed how much more quiet it is than the UMB 13"? The fan noise has been drastically reduced and machine seems to stay cooler. And did anyone notice that the SuperDrive does not make a sound when you turn on your machine like it does on the UMB? Nice refinements!

I'm impressed!

2. Frosties macrumors 6502a

Frosties

This post is by no means meant to be angry just a post to add that clarification is always good when it comes to macbook's fan control and temperature during use.

Have you seen the temp go down or is this just a feeling and what do you base these readings on? I am all for being satisfied with your purchase but to us that is on the fence to buy the new macbook pro line more information is needed. Especially when we have had posts that state that the 13" macbook pro is hot, they have overheat in the header.

3. Jisuo macrumors 6502

I only hear the fans on my UMB if I'm in a completely silent room. I don't think I've ever heard my hdd. Not sure how it could be any quiter than this.

Also no problems with temperature ever. You must have had a bad one. :/

4. MacAgent84 thread starter macrumors member

OK, thanks for your input.

But what about the SuperDrive gear sound when you start up the UMB? I never hear that starting up the new MBP.

5. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Like i said somewhere else, there's a possibility your new MBP13 is using a slight different mechanism, possibly provided by the Hitachi LG Storage Group thus it's quieter. Previous MBP's usually used the more reliable, Matshita (Panasonic) drives but they're louder.... Just because your is quieter doesn't mean they will all be quiet because Apple does switch suppliers fairly often!! I'm guessing it depends on stock levels/batches.

6. ..Ryan.. macrumors member

*All temperatures mentioned below are in degrees Celsius*

as far as the temperatures go. in scenarios of using mercury, aperture, safari and itunes, my old mbp (non UB 2ghz coreduo) would be hitting close to 80 degrees at the standard fan speed (i used smc fan control to solve my issue)

however, in the same scenario, with the standard fan speeds untouched, my UB 13" macbook pro is sitting on the following temps :

CPU A: 44
    Battery: 31
    Enclosure bottom: 31
    Enclosure bottom 2: 31
    Enclosure bottom 3: 30
    Heatsink A: 0 ?
    Heatsink B: 41
    Northbridge 1: 37

temps recorded with iStats.

hope that helped

cheers,
    Ryan

7. will0407 macrumors 6502a

Me neither- my girlfriend had a uMB, and now has the 13" MBP- I managed to get a good price on the uMB, so upgrading to the MBP only cost £50 after selling the printer and ipod from the BTS deal- also meant she had applecare on the MBP which the uMB didn't.

Anyway, she was the one that pointed it out last week after she opened the lid, not sure why there's no sound- it's happened on all the macbooks I've had in the past!