MacBook Pro 13"! Need Advice!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Kostas44, May 16, 2015.

1. Kostas44, May 16, 2015
    Last edited: May 16, 2015

Kostas44 macrumors newbie

I'm thinking of buying the new 13" MacBook Pro with Retina Display. However I don't know what upgrade to make. I am between either upgrading the default processor of the most expensive 13" model (can't remember the exact price) from a 2.9GHz Dual-core Intel Core i5, Turbo Boost up to 3.3GHz to a 3.1GHz Dual-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.4GHz OR adding 8GB of extra RAM for a total of 16GB. Should I go with the i5 and 16GB of RAM or i7 and 8GB of RAM?

I will mostly be using the rMBP for school work (word, powerpoint etc.) and a bit of gaming (Only league of legends for now). Also, I like to keep multiple tabs open and also like to have a few programs open simultaneously...

EDIT: I also have the option of getting both upgrades at the cost of less storage space (256GB as opposed to 512GB). Would this be enough for me ?
    Also, I would only buy the i7 over the i5 for hyperthreading capbilties that the i5 doesn't have. Would this be a meaningful upgrade? Meaning, would I see any difference in performance that would justify the 200$ price tag?

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks a lot,
    K

2. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

For your uses, you don't need either upgrade. If you're going to pick one, I guess I'd go with the RAM, but you honestly don't need it.

3. Kissmyne macrumors 6502

Kissmyne

The Core i5's in these notebooks do actually have HyperThreading, Intel has really confused the SKUs of their CPU's... some of their i5's that are dual core have Hyperthreading. You are looking at a maybe 5% difference in performance with the upgrade and thats only at Maximum load scenarios.. Save your $$$

4. Kostas44 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey guys thanks for the replies! If I had to make an upgrade though, which would be better for future-proofing my rMBA because I wan't to keep it for as long as possible.

Thanks,
    K

5. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Use the extra $200 to buy yourself a high end bag for the laptop.

Seriously. You don't need the faster CPU or extra RAM.

6. Meister Suspended

Meister

Buying insurance

7. inhalexhale1 macrumors 6502a

The RAM is the best choice, between the two. The i7 doesn't provide meaningful benefit over the i5.

8. MacbookPro2015 macrumors member

You won't feel the difference in real world performance between the two processors. 8 Gigs of ram is also plenty for what you listed and will likely still be for the next 5 years in which you'll probably be upgrading anyways

9. eddiexhart macrumors regular

eddiexhart

The base model is fast enough, trust. Use the extra money and buy Apple Care or a great laptop bag. Both worthy investments. :D

10. AroundTheFur922 macrumors member

AroundTheFur922

If you're dead-set on getting one of the two than I'd recommend going the RAM route, will be the more beneficial down the road of the two between performance and resale value.

11. Tmelon macrumors 6502a

I would definitely go with the i5 instead of the i7. The performance feels identical and the i5 will give you slightly longer battery life.

12. snaky69 macrumors 603

One buys a computer with a certain set of needs and software to be used. If that set of needs does not change, then your computer will last as long as you want it to last, unless it breaks, that is.

Future-proofing and computers should never be in the same sentence.

13. Kostas44 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks a bunch guys! Honestly, thanks for all the feedback. I'll reasses the case, but I think I might be going with the extra 8 gigs of RAM :cool: Thanks again guys!

K