MacBook Pro 13" - Need Help

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by applegeek897, Jul 12, 2013.

1. applegeek897 macrumors regular

I am trying to fix a Early 2011 MacBook Pro 13".

I have tried to diagnose the computer and all that is happening is you turn the power on and it tries for almost less then a second to power up and then dies.

I opened the computer up to see if anything was loose and nothing is.

Iv'e been told that he was just using the computer and it just out of the blue stopped working.

Would love some help to try and get this working again as I don't think I should give up as its not a very old machine.

Thanks. James.

2. Dweez macrumors 65816

Dweez

Is there time during the attempted power on cycle for anything to show up on the display? Does the system produce any beeps?

3. applegeek897 thread starter macrumors regular

Nothing, no boot screen it gets power but only for a very short amount of time and then dies, everything seems to be getting that power, the fan and hard drive start spinning but are almost instantly cut off and the front sleep light also comes on for the same amount of time.

4. scbond, Jul 12, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2013

scbond macrumors 6502

I would guess it as being a faulty logic board but I wouldn't take my word for it without being totally sure. Take it to an Apple store and get it diagnosed there...you aren't obliged to leave it with them and do the repairs.

5. Dadioh macrumors 65816

Dadioh

Sounds like the System Management Controller (SMC) is detecting a sensor reading it does not like and is shutting down the machine. SMC measures all sorts of temperatures, voltages, and currents. Given that it shuts down that quickly I would guess current or voltage out of spec.

You "could" try resetting the SMC to see if that helps.

6. applegeek897 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for that, tried it and still having the same problem. :confused:

7. Dadioh macrumors 65816

Dadioh

Sounds like a logic board issue then. Not great news unfortunately.